Sunday, October 23, 2016

Waste Not a Moment


 
Maybe I am getting older I think. Well actually I am older and getting older every day. I doesn’t matter a dot when you are young but when you get to my age,  you can clearly see the direction it is all going and there is no use worrying about your advancing years as long as you are doing as much as you can to look after your body, even though it is not as lovely to behold as it once was. It’s all you’ve got and better make the most of it and fill every moment and try your best not to waste a second of it, which is an area most of us neglect miserably. Me, I just try to keep busy and enjoy life as much as I can. 

This week has been a good week; my training has gone well with everything I planned to do, now done.  Monday, Wednesday, Friday starts with a swim at 6.30am then just on the Wednesday and Friday a 5km run. Tuesday and Thursday morning a turbo training session for bike practice. I still do the computer work for our business and that keeps me quietly beavering away much of the day though I do take time to write some nonsense or other on this, my Daf’s Diary page. 

On the entertainment front, we were very greedy and saw three movies which brought us, with training, office, home jobs and outings, to this weekend. Saturday, a longer bike session first thing before making arrangements in the office for Steve to make yet another work trip to Venice. When I tell friends that Steve is going to Venice for a few days, they all say “OOOO How lovely”.  Actually it is very hard and most awkward work because on this occasion, a person is being moved out of their home and away to another European area. This involves getting a barge and having it taken to the closest point to the person’s home. The furniture and decorative items are then carefully wrapped and carried down and wheeled along to a loading point for the barge. When this has been done a couple of hundred times, the barge is moved off to a custom point, where the barge is unloaded and then the items loaded onto a truck. So it is not exactly a sight seeing holiday. 

Saturday evening (last night) was our club swim session and it was made extra fun because a new, would be triathlete, joined us and it was her first proper training session. She said on Facebook this morning that this morning she could not lift here arms! Oh poor you Christine, but it will get easier! It was a good session and I too got a good workout. 

This morning Steve and I set off on our standard Sunday run in Angmering Park. It was a weird morning because there was a quite thick fret that had I presume come inland on the incoming tide, it also travels up the river along the valley. It’s extremely pretty but also a bit spooky. I don’t mind spooky in fact, it sets my imagination off with a bang. We saw a gorgeous young deer up really close and that for us is always a treat. We did a good time for our run and later when Steve checked it on the computer it was our best time for the exact same run in several years. It solved the question of why I got so tired along the way but of course, if I was running faster it would make me more tired. I had thought that I was paying for having worked hard at my training all week but had not thought about having a good Sunday run time. 

We had lunch together, Steve cooked cod wrapped in prosciutto with sage potatoes, broccoli spears and roast radishes and a tasty sauce. Whilst he had cooked, I had packed Steve a few things into his back pack, just a clothes change and one spare lot in case of rain. He left for the airport after lunch. He rang just a while back to say that annoyingly his flight was delayed by one and a half hours which would make his arrival at Venice Marco Polo quite late. 

Having been true to myself all week and kept my training going, below is today’s brain exercise due to the run in the woods, the result is probably the complete ruination of one of my favourite poets best known works, turning it into my run through the trees, but it is also a thank you to my dear Robert Frost who stays in paperback form ready for sleepless nights, by my bed always.

Sorry Robert! 

Stopping by Woods on an Autumn Morn

With apologies to, and thanks to Robert Frost
 

The woods ARE lovely, dark and deep,
And far removed from winters stark bare light
I too have promises to keep
To myself with my aims still in sight
 

The breeze now in autumn breathes a rustling sound
As thoughts spring from my head like leaves
Multitudinous trees of ev’ry shade around
A heart full of silent wishes heaves
 

Last of wilting wild flowers grow
Tweet twittering birdies fill the trees with sound
Caw, peewit, pink, pink all flow
With heaven’s song resound
 

Miles to go before I sleep
And miles I’ve gone have brought me sleep
No time for me to stand and weep
I too have promises to keep

 

No comments: