Sunday, October 9, 2016

Another Time, Another Place


 

It has been most peculiar for me while my husband has been away in Hawaii because whenever I have spoke to him, actually via ‘What’s App’, that seemed to work well for us, the time difference has been either eleven or thirteen hour apart which ever way you can work it out. When he has contacted me, I have looked up at the clock in my office and gone half a day back, added one hour, and that has been the time In Kailua Kona. We quickly agreed that the only good time for both of us was six in the morning or six at night. Otherwise he was in bed while I was getting on with my day, or I was in bed as he was getting on with his day. And that still only worked if he is back in his hotel room because ‘What’s App’ does not work if you do not have Wifi!  Neither of us have really got to grips properly with the half a day time difference, added to which Steve has had trouble working out that he is half a day behind me. That has been the worst part about not being together, simply finding a time without waking to other.
 
 

Now all the excitement of the Hawaii Ironman is over for me after sitting up most of the night following the race on the internet. In Kona, they have only just closed the course and then next day they still have the awards Party to come. I will be glad to have him home again, and may not even moan at him for dominating my time for at least a day after he gets back.
 
As I am writing this piece of off the wall twaddle at lunch time, he is fast asleep I hope, after a nerve racking day watching his friend get through the big race. I did not get to speak to Steve this morning my time, because he was in the process of getting his friend, who finished the race in a very presentable time of 10 hours 27minutes and 33 seconds. They would have to get all the guys kit, wetsuit and bike out of transition and make their way back to their hotel which is actually twenty miles away.

 

It was then be too late to get me because I had left for my Sunday morning run in Angmering Park where there is definitely no Wifi. I sent him a series of text messages telling him how long he had left to reach me with his race report. Text1. I am leaving in 30 minutes…. Text2. 10 minutes…. Text3. Don’t call, I’ve gone. When he wakes he at 6am (his time) he may see my latest message in time; it says…. I am leaving at 6.30pm (my time). Michelle is coming to pick me up at 6.30am if you miss me have a good flight home! My friend Michelle, myself and her mum are going to Worthing to see to see Le Bublé as I call him. Michael Bublé is featured in a film called ‘Tour Stop 148’, about his recent tour. Steve didn’t want to go anyway, he calls him Michael Bubbley. When I get home, Steve will be boarding his flight home, a journey with two changes!
 
 
Our friend Craig is going off to Orlando with his wife and four daughters for a post Ironman holiday and to solve the problem, my sweet husband will be bringing Craig’s bike back for him, boxed to travel off course but not easy to handle. This is very kind and considerate of him but will be a bit of a struggle with his own luggage too. It will also be a struggle at Heathrow. It has all been like one of those romantic time lapse stories; like that lovely movie, The Lake House with Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock, and like those confused lovers, Steve and I will be together again soon.


 
 
 

No comments: