Thursday, October 6, 2016

It Never Rains but it Ranchipur’s





 

Scenes from The Rains of Ranchipur

 
 
What a wonderful old film that was, from the novel by Louis Bromfield. It comes fully into the list of old movies that we say, ‘They don’t make films like that anymore’ about. I am old enough to have seen it with my brother years ago, all the stars were at their most glamorous; Lana Turner with her silky blonde hair and Richard Burton was at his most handsome too. We saw the film at the Rivoli cinema in Worthing when we were both young. The Rivoli, was a beautiful old cinema with a marble floored foyer, stylish central tȇte á tȇte couches, handsome crystal chandeliers, rich velvet curtain and double courting seats in the back row with an arm between them!
 
 

The reason I am reminded of all this because I have had a most confusing day, since half the day was wonderful and half was sheer poison. This morning, after finding so many congratulatory messages on my computer in Facebook, and email and texts about my recent good fortune, and having had another lovely run around Arundel Castle park grounds, the day started to go down the tubes as I got in the car and had the first panic stricken phone call from our warehouse.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

For many years after my brother and I saw that lovely film he always said ‘It Never Rains but it Ranchipurs’ every time anything went wrong repeatedly. It went from bad to worse today. Jobs were cancelled at short notice and new ones came up that needed a quote rushed out, I had a client to meet and that did not work quite to the time scale I had allowed either. The bad stuff blew in left right and centre like an unexpected blizzard. I have been fielding problems in my office all day long. Of course this only ever happens when Steve is not around to deal with things, as he always does without getting into a flap at all. I got into an Olympic level flap and have only just finished sorting everything out. It would have taken Steve no time at all because he can rise to the occasion like no other; he thrives on ironing out problems.
 
Anyway now the panic is over I can return to the nice happenings.  This week’s Littlehampton Gazette had gone to town on the story of the towns Sports Awards. They had devoted a whole page to it with a huge photo at the top and half of the article was telling my own story.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The big issue there was that never before had anybody won the Sports Person of the Year title twice. This in my case, was in 2014 after winning my age group in the ITU Triathlon Championship in Edmonton, Canada. In 2015 I was awarded a special commendation after winning the Worlds again in Chicago.
 
 
This year I was first over the line in all of the events that I competed in the main ones were Windsor in June, Worthing in August which qualified me for The European Championship in Kitzbuhel, Austria for 2017 and the new Brighton and Hove Triathlon, and placed 2nd in the National Swimathon 5000 metre pool swim. I am guessing that half of the reason this award came my way this year is just for having such grim determination to carry and I have set my cap at the World Championships in Rotterdam in September 2017.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 I do like to encourage other people into my sport and am quite tireless at encouraging anybody I can into getting some sort of fitness.  Plus of course my age, I am not 21 any more. Injuries and off days do occur with me as they do with many and they just have to be coped with patiently as I did with a couple of problems this year. Historically I do repeatedly grow to my best in late summer like a crop of corn at harvest time which is also good, since next years main aim, is late in the season.
 
 

I have been more than a little hyper and have slept badly since my exciting evening on Monday; I was all a-buzz this week after winning that award so unexpectedly. It was I found, rather a shame that something so special had happened while my coach Steve was so far away; Murphy’s Law strikes again eh? Last year he had a breakdown in his truck when I won another award last December in Worthing and did not make it to see me pick that one up either because I do truly feel that these trophies are as much his as they are mine since the success would not have happened without his dedication, planning and care for me.
 
 


 

No comments: