Monday, November 2, 2020

Midnight Tango

 

 

 

A


And other small pleasures

The ‘Spice of Life’ is not something that we should expect to come to us without earning it, as with everything else in life. We can only work hard on whatever path we have chosen, and hope to find some reward for our work sooner or later. I was reminded the other day of a quote from a successful sportsman who said, “The harder I practise, the luckier I get”. Good fortune is not floating in the air ready to be plucked out by lazy fingers. Just the same as a few years ago when Steve and I were driving through London in heavy traffic and we pulled alongside a taxi driver to ask the easiest way to where we wanted to go. I knew as soon as I opened my mouth with the quick question, I knew what was coming, “How do we get to the Albert Hall”?  It’s the sort of question that makes the day of a London cabbie, I knew immediately, but too late, that his reply would be “You have to practice madam”!

 

Along those lines of advice, I did go for another run this morning with Steve alongside riding his mountain bike. I am still a competing triathlete and so I must do my training as best I can, if I want to continue for as long as possible. There have been good days and bad days, and during the last eight Covid blighted months, there have been a few days when you might wonder what the blazes is happening in your life. However, it is happening to everybody’s lives, not just mine and yours. We have to soldier on and hope that eventually things will improve by next summer.


The poor old NHS are struggling to cope already and the death figures and rate of infection, are rising daily and we all know that this is forcing the hospitals to put patients suffering Heart disease and various forms of Cancer on hold they are, in some cases having to wait longer for their treatment because of the ugly pandemic that surrounds us all right now.

 

Most of the Charities are also suffering enormously because so many events have been cancelled, that were full of fine people who were doing the races to raise funds for one charity or another. My husband Stephen and I were entered for thirteen event several distances or forms over and we would have asked for some support in our circles for one of our local charity’s.

 

We did join in an event early in the first lockdown that nationwide raised a good sum of money but it was very little compared to a usual summer. So never mind about your own disappointment that you missed your memorable events. Why not make a small donation to the charity you would have supported, doing that instead of one of those entry fees that have been postponed until 2021. 

 



 Last night we watched Midnight Tango that featured Vincent Simone and Flavia Cacace, both of Strictly fame. The show that was first around in I think about 2011 and then a season in the West End too, was streamed on You Tube asking if possible for donations to the Arts whilst the theatres are having and equally grim time in ticket sales. It was marvellously unusual Tango Ballet with a simple easy to follow story line and beautifully danced with a world class group of ten dancers.


Keep on training all through this autumn and winter and if we are all sensible and do as we are advised to help stop the spread of the invisible enemy virus, we might then be able to get back to our fun days without losing our form.

 



 

 

 

No comments: