Monday, November 30, 2020

Cabin Fever


 This morning I have been out in our little van that we call Violetta, with Steve. The only reason I went with him today was only for a change of scene. He had one delivery close to Heathrow airport and knowing that I have been suffering from a mild case of Cabin Fever, due to the fact that I am missing my friends and family so badly. As of tomorrow, it will be nine whole calendar months since we have been to the local pool Littlehampton Wave for swim training. It’s not as if we only went there once in a while to train with and chatter with, so many or our fellow triathletes and swimmers, we were there for at least and hour and a half, four or five times every week and on many of those occasions we would go for a run or a bike ride straight after the swim session, or dinner sometimes on a Saturday night.

 

As with most things in this life the population has been split in opinion as to how best to survive the plague season. Many, have totally ignored all the official advice. Being over eighty years old myself, and taking in the advice, I have not met any groups of people, athletes or not, healthy and fit or not. Its been hard but Steve and I have stuck to our guns and done our training on our own and worked very hard at maintaining our own fitness level.

 

Recently our area has found itself in the top end of tier 2 as placed by the government. With a higher rise in cases and deaths, than there was in early summer, so it would seem to me that now is not a time to be blasé.

 

So, Steve and I will not be going madly out Christmas shopping and partying. I am not convinced that Covid is anything like improving yet. Unless a vaccine that works is perfected soon. I see this going into its second year, a bit like the Black Death in the middle ages. Of course, is of no help at all that I do not cope well with the darkest couple of months of the year.


My outing this morning was simply a drive in the van and on arrival at the delivery point, Steve simply opened the back doors of the van and the crate was taken out on a fork lift. We used the drive time to listen to another few hours of the book we are listening to on Audible right now. Column of Fire by Ken Follett, the last in the Kingsbridge Trilogy that has helped us stay sane and sharing this most educational set of books.

 


On TV right now we are working our way through another very different series on Amazon Prime, Ride Upon the Storm, that again is most thought provoking. It is a Danish production with subtitles. I am happy with Subtitles since I have a bit of a hearing problem and it save me saying “What did he say”, to Steve every two minutes.

 


No comments: