Saturday, November 28, 2020

Biathlon’s New Bright Star

                                     Sturla Holm Laegried 23, Norway top of the podium today

 

My husband/coach deemed today to be a lazy day since I had been working quite hard with my training. I have been doing all of my running on my own as well as quite a bit of my other training of all sorts; Turbo session, Ballet, and Qigong.

 

Steve has now been out of run training for nearly seven weeks after suffering a nasty slide in a muddy section of woodland. For several weeks he thought he had pulled a hamstring but even after resting it nicely, and doing all the exercises that had been recommended, the injury had not improved. At that point he rang the Osteopath he had been going to off and on for about forty years who he had rock solid faith in Ann Coxhead. The only reason he had not been to her in some time was that he had been in pretty good shape but also that the traffic situation between us and Rottingdean where he practice is situated has been horrendous. But anyway, he had not suffered much more than mild over work tiredness. 

 

The result of that visit showed other injuries entirely, and in truth I didn’t quite understand since it is rather complicated. So now he is resting more and only walking, while I run at the same time and even then, he is walking slower than he has been since he always complains that he can’t keep up with me at my walk speed normally, let alone injured.

 

He has been working on the breathing exercises he has been given, since some of the damage is with muscles in his stomach and hip attachment system from what I understand. This sounds sensible to me, since about a month ago, in the same very muddy time frame, I had a headlong slide, body surfing through a very wet area and covering myself in mud from chest to feet and after that although I could still run ok and completed my run feeling fine. However, for a couple of weeks I had to hold back on my Abs floor work, and also found press-ups and sit-ups (not of those that I do many of those), difficult. That fall had left me with a tender tummy, lower abs. but I have fully recovered from that.

 

My running if fine right now, much better than the last few years and less of an effort having taken a few pounds off my weight, in fact the improvement may be totally due to the weight loss. The fact that swimming has been almost put on hold this year due to Covid, and with swimming pools closed, my only swims were in the sea during the summer months and not very many of those either, since it is such an upheaval to put a traipse down to the beach and take a de-salting bath after, hair drying etc. into the training programme to fit with everything else.

 

Being a world class pain in the butt like me, a massive fidget and handiwork freak into the bargain, time has to be handled well. Brain wise, I need take extra time for my writing, whether I share it or not. Then I must have some handiwork going on. This morning I have finished a shirt for myself that I have been only allowing 30 minutes a day on. It looks like shop bought though, pretty neat though I say so myself.


                                      Johannes Thingnes Boe Norway 2nd today

 

Today, was a happy day for both of us since we are both big winter sports fans. This morning on Eurosport there was Biathlon to watch from Kontiolahti in Finland. It was a great opening for our winter watching. We have been to a few events live but Steve worries about me getting very cold standing around for hours watching the athletes get very hot and breathless.


French superstar Martin Fourcade who retired from the sport after the season last year.

We are both big fans of the Boe brothers of Norway who are sort of the Brownlee’s of Biathlon as it were and Johannes Thingnes Boe was indeed in first position when he crossed the line in the men’s 20km race which was a time trial event. However, a new young star Sturla Holm Laegried at 23 years old, who has only had a place in World class events a handful of times, managed to finish about 19.4 seconds ahead of J.T. Boe giving Norway the top two places on the podium. 


 

 

No comments: