Friday, November 6, 2020

An Experienced Bear



My race mascot is a bear named Placid

‘Why so’, I hear you would like to know.

I found him first with arms held above

like an Opera singer we all know and love.

 

A Mother’s Day gift from long, long ago

a daughter’s love this was given to show.

He doesn’t have a pretty face or silky fur

I turn to him with my problems to confer.

 

Arctophiles have little in the way of choice

with need to back up of their own voice

Placido say’s “Where is my suitcase for the trip”?

A second opinion in this way pretence will strip.

 

In terms of ‘Bear’ years he must be thirty five

looks older through abuse on which he thrived.

He’s much travelled and lived life to the full

battle scarred; his fur is ratty like steel wool.

 

A sports bear too with true grit and resolve

all sins told to him he will in love absolve.

A partnership is built on strength, trust and care

I say that nowhere, was there a better bear.

 

Years he rode drag under the saddle of my bike

when triathlon racing, we’d take a tagged hike.

He has been praised, admired and maligned

passing riders shout, “I love your bear behind”!

 

Once there as lookout, now he takes the lead

arms [DB1] aerodynamically held, we work to succeed.

Like a ships figurehead his brave chest puffed

with sterner stuff than most, is my bear stuffed.

 

Never time for inner trifles like fear or doubt

Over the top we go, into battle with a shout.

Every race is faced by my tiny bear’s valour

fur faded now from sun and rain to a dull pallor.

 

Age and experience in battle has taken its toll

his spirit and camaraderie help make me whole.

Doubt would not dare keep us from success

his bold soul knows that more, I know it less.

 

When fear of failure strikes in deep in my heart

Loyally built walls that strengthen us to restart.

Without that eight inch high little balding friend

there’d be tears as his soul to heaven I’d commend.

 


 [DB1]

 

No comments: