Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Walkies and Talkies


It was clear sign that Steve had had a hard day yesterday, when he, the man who loves to cook something tasty and attractively presented, came home from work with two ready meals. He left me to put them in the oven while he soaked in a hot bath for while.  I added a handful of French beans that I had grown myself in our garden, for a little fresh colour. For dessert I conjured up a masterpiece with vanilla ice cream with hot blackberries and strawberries (also from the freezer) and a dollop of thick cream on the top.

Straight after this sumptuous feast, Steve asked me to get him a hot water bottle for his poor old back. When we climbed into bed (It is a Princess and the Pea height bed), when he said he was not putting the alarm on and I thought, there goes our early run then. It had been a long hard day for him and even if he does not like me saying this…. He is not 21 anymore.


I woke at 5.30 am as usual and crept out of the room as quite as a mouse, and after making myself a nice cup of coffee to take with me, I went upstairs with the cat following me up meowing and trilling warmly. Having put on some clothes on, I got out my recently bought, new ladies shirt pattern and opened it up. Having sorted through the packet of tissue sheets and separated the pattern pieces I needed for my next project and neatly folded up the rest of it and put them back in the packet. I spent the next half hour reading the instructions until I heard Stephen moving about.

 

Soon I had made Steve’s coffee, and another cup for myself and we sat together to see the weather forecast and ten minutes of the news. I did not ask what we were going to do training wise, having taken the very strong hint from last evening.

 

Pretty soon though Stephen asked how it would be if we went for a walk instead of a run, adding that he didn’t think he could run this morning because his back ached but a walk might ease it out.

 

So then, I suggested we walked one lap of the Arundel Triathlon run course which would be 5km and a little hilly, to which he agreed but asked how I felt about doing the route backwards. Settled then. That was what we did and both thoroughly enjoyed the change of schedule. Arundel Park is just so darned beautiful what could possibly be nicer and just ten minutes from our home.

 

Instead of starting out up the High Street hill, then we wandered along Tarrant Street and walked to the top of the town via Mount Pleasant Hill past a couple of houses that we had been talking about. So nice to out walking without being in a hurry all the time.


 

 

 

 

No comments: