Sunday, September 6, 2020

National Aquathlon Championships 2019

September 8th 2019:  National Aquathlon Championships, Arundel West Sussex

September is a happy month in triathlon terms for me, usually because most of the big events have been done and dusted and that the ones that come in the last month of the tri summer season can be simply enjoyed, rather that filling the competitors with trepidation and nerves. They are the best way to close the busy sport season.


Having showed some photos from Worlds in Lausanne, Switzerland that was last weekend one year ago. The first event I had after returning from Switzerland was the British Triathlon Aquathlon Championships the next weekend and it could not have been more convenient because the race venue was just twenty minutes away from my home.

My Rock, Husband, coach and best friend, would not be there to support me, because he was away working in France and with the race being so close to home, and knowing that I would know the course like the back of my hand because we use it all the time and that there would be dozens of people there that I know, even HE, who does like to be managing everything, was happy to have me bowl up to Arundel alone. Championships or not.


It was a very well managed event presented by local race event group Raw Energy Pursuits. The swim was to be in the River Arun that does have a wicked current but it was planned to be at slack tide. In truth though there is always a little movement in the second fastest river in the country the Arun should be respected always.

 


An Aquathlon is a swim and then a run. With me being newly the 2019 World Standard Distance Triathlon Champion from my win the week before, I was feeling great and still over the moon with happiness and so I did have a very good race and a great big grin on my face when I came over the finish line to another national title in my age group.  My friend Brigit who we usually runs with at the weekend (and we go to the cake shop with for coffee,) came to cheer me on and give support and stayed for the presentation which was nice for such a busy person to give me their time so generously. Another happy day and something to tell Steve when he phoned. He would be as pleased as me. 





 

 

No comments: