Saturday, September 26, 2020

Gathering

"She may very well pass for 43 in dusk with the light behind her". W.S. Gilbert

Recently we made, what was in these times, was a rare social visit to wish a happy day to one of the sweetest women we know, who should have been celebrating her birthday. We had been to see her on other birthday’s, in more pleasant days; like the delightful garden party for her fiftieth birthday when there was a happy gathering on the lawn, of friends’ family and neighbours.

 

We have been very careful during the Covid blighted time, and this lovely couple are in fact the one of the few households, that we know of in our circles, who have taken this deadly period as seriously as we have. So, we did feel safe in going to visit them, knowing that they have not left their home at all but bearing in mind that they have much more space in their home and the luxury of a large garden. However, we have tried very hard to be sensible

and have made a real effort and it has been a struggle in a small cottage with a postage stamp garden. So it is nice to know that a few others have made the same sacrifices for the sake of ourselves and the community.

 

It would be difficult to find a woman more touchy-feely person than me normally and it has been a true hardship for me keeping a safe distance from my family and friends. It might not be so bad, if it were not for the fact that making a phone call and having a chat has gone right out of fashion. The modern way is to Text or What’s App, or send a message. Face Book and Instagram too are very useful but all so impersonal. It is contact, but it lacks warmth and love. I miss the sound of my family laughing and even my friends making fun of me with their jokes. I miss the odd Mmmmwwah! of a kiss on my cheek and a good hug seems like a dream from the long distant past. I hope that I am not the only person feeling like this. We can’t even shake hands without there being a rush for an anti-bacterial hand cleansing gel. I pray that there will be an end to all this, but I fear that it will not come soon all the while the mind set seems to be veering toward ignoring the whole thing, as if it is just a story made up by the government, that is an experiment to see just how much control can be tolerated before we all go bang! Anarchy awaits; but not for long.

 

Think nice thoughts folk; watch something beautiful, as Steve and I did last night. Streamed from the Royal Opera House. ‘Dances at a Gathering’ that even the title was so poignant it seemed, young men and girls just dancing and smiling and flirting, as if there were not a care in the world. Well worth watching, no story, just beauty and dancing to the of music of Chopin. Bliss. 


 

 

 

 

No comments: