Friday, May 8, 2020

V.E Day wartime memories






V.E Day

I was born in Brighton just two weeks before war was declared. My Dad was called up for service and my Mum wasted no time, packing just one suitcase and catching the train to my dad’s relations in Leeds, where she hoped the three of us would be safe.

75 years ago was V. E. Day. Our Mother had not long returned to Worthing to live on the South coast once again. My brother and I had Yorkshire accents when she brought us home again after staying with relatives in the north for the duration of the war, or pretty near.

Wartime Monday

She stood on the cold scullery floor,
Old apron pulled on over her head
And tied firmly in a bow at her waist.

Turning the wash in the tin tub more.
A glazed look spoke words not said
Lifting her strong tea with sugary taste.
.
Mangle wheel held, as she faced the door.
Wash rinsed, turns to what her thoughts bled,
Later the kids need to be fed in haste.

Empty stomachs rumble; a husband at war.
A hard life and then you are dead.
Listen by radio of battles and the displaced.

News that caused a drop of the jaw.
Working hard to buy some bread.
Headlines of heroism or the disgraced.

Will he come back? Will she hear him snore?
Laying together under the old bedspread,
Strangers hands, fingers interlaced.


Iron Shelter

No going to sleep in a comfy bed
No curtains with soft pink flowers.
That was my old room it has to be said
Not used in those black-out hours.
My slumber fitful, in more like a cell
An iron sheet cage roof and base,
Rough mesh sides link to thick bars well
I clutch my pillow edged with lace.

‘Bombs is droppin’, Mother’ Mr Taylor calls.
His deaf wife asks, ‘What d’ye say there’?
‘Bombs is droppin’ and shakin’ the walls
Come down to the shelter ‘tis safer there’.

Young and old suffer war time fear
As search lights sweep the night sky
Sirens wail as wee babe’s shed a tear
Who, we wonder this night will die.

My brother Peter crawls in with a frown
‘Don’t fret baby girl, they won’t get us’.
Mum wrapping us in the old eiderdown.
‘Bloody Hitler’, he moans,
 Mum says not to cus.

No comments: