Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Lockdown on Truth


 
This photo was taken from our hotel window on the day we arrived in Bergen, Norway last year

Lockdown on Truth

It is impossible for me think that I am the only one who does not believe everything we are being told. In fact I don’t believe very much of the daily news about this plague upon humanity that we are suffering. Why are we suffering in silence? We see that the authorities are still lying through their teeth. We are being kept almost in the dark I am sure.


All you can deduce from the daily figures is that there are a lot of figures but I think that they are being kept artificially low. I also think that there has been a policy set out to keep the people of this country in the shade if not totally in the dark. I suppose the reason was that we should not panic. The trouble is that all the kid-ology is now giving people the idea that it will all be over in a couple of weeks. 





 Photo here of me approaching one of life's many barriers.





I have felt a soft suggestion that I have been the one who is in a state of panic and not the general public at all. My husband and myself and very few other people I know, have been in total lockdown for a long time and that is because we are the some who are still thinking for ourselves and not drinking in every half truth that we are being fed. My eyes are wide open in disbelief.


On alternate mornings, anybody who has read my diary page at all will know that we have only left our home for a running session which is something that we cannot do indoors though we are doing loads of exercise at home. We have driven the couple of miles to the spot where we run that is very close to the estate where our business warehouse is. In fact if you saw the download from the Garmin Forerunner that I last posted a couple of days ago you should know that the section where the run was shown passing along the A27 Trunk road, that at that point in our run, we could actually see our business premises on the other side of the road. So the drive is dual purpose and we can go to the warehouse and pick up the post, check that all is well and make sure that no deliveries have been made that we did not know about.

So what I am saying is that we think we have been behaving in a proper and right way in the light of the horror that is happening around the world but more pointedly, to us in the UK. Yesterday on our return by car there were many more vehicles out on the roads and on the A27 it looked almost like a usual week day traffic load at 7.30 am. So it seems that a mass of people are getting to feel unduly demob happy.












On Sunday evening when PM Boris Johnson announced to the nation that there would be a gradual softening of the lock down, I did not hear that it was time for a free for all. It is not time to totally forget the daily death toll. On TV today, running along the strap, the total figure shown was 32,692 which I am confused by, since when I looked at the Guardian newspaper online page to check the figures, there was the figure of 40,496 for the entire four countries of the UK including 10,000 fatalities in care homes to be added. So there seems to be a scary amount of juggling going on surely. I just heard somebody on TV say that 1 in 4 deaths have been in care homes; that is utterly shocking if that is correct…... who and what can we believe.

Official advice changes all the time, Chancellor Rishi Sunak, has just announced that the job retention scheme is to be extended for another four months until October, which is more than four months counting on my fingers. So just looking at that statement it does not look as though we will be back to normal any time soon. 













To conclude all this, I shall simply say that I wish you would stay at home for longer. Keep yourself safe and keep others safe at the same time.
Meanwhile, this is me remaining calm, getting on with a lot of jobs and projects at home like doing some gardening. I have planted vegetables in my little garden something I have not done in thirty years. I worked on a second sewing of snow peas and french beans this morning, getting fresh produce has been difficult.

This was the two of us driving in Norway on the Ironman 70.3 Haugesund bike course.


For one who has been hinted at for spreading panic, I must add that I am sleeping very well, but that may just be the increased training load e.g. We have doubled our running miles per week and feeling good on it, due to increased flexibility due to the variety of classes we have been taking on You Tube
I have two new sewing projects going on, since I finished the major item that I thought to begin with that might take a month or so while stuck at home. It took eight weeks. So I have started other smaller things but several of them. I may start on making some presents for Christmas.



TV remains extra special with all the major company’s streaming previous recordings. La Traviata was fabulous last Friday from the Royal Opera House and Frankenstein from the National really nailed it. Those were very special evenings. Other things that we have watched are Killing Eve that is top grade in my book.

Then, since at this time last year we were looking forward to going to Norway for the first time ever for Ironman 70.3 Haugesund, we have watched a few of the very good TV series to come out of Scandinavia. Earlier this we watched Occupied, that was most unusual and very well played and presented. That being so good caused us to pick out several more from the huge variety showing. Steve and I can read, so subtitles do not put us off at all. We have been watching Twin that is again riveting stuff and even taking the very good story and cast out of it, it is worth watching just to be reminded what a devastatingly beautiful country Norway is. We fell totally in love with it on our visit there last year, and will be going back sometime before we pop our clogs the area where Twin is set looks marvellous. This last week or so we have started watching State of Happiness that is set around Stavanger, very close to Haugesund where we stayed for the race last summer. If nothing else these several series have been great travel adverts for the beauty of Norway.


Who know when we will next be able to travel freely, such a frustration to a pair of travel nuts like Steve and I. We love maps and travel programmes but we love to see for ourselves best of all.




No comments: