Thursday, May 14, 2020

Memory playing tricks




Memory playing tricks

In order for an ordinary person not to be picked up on, they would need to have an incredible memory. Politicians suffer from everything they say in public being recorded, and so two days later when they change their mind, the previous quote is going to be thrown out at them. There have been countless cases of this in recent weeks both here in the UK and other countries. None of them seem to say “Oh I am so sorry I was mistaken about that”. They rarely apologise though do they.

I was set thinking about one or two cases of this on TV recently when Steve and I as usual  look at each other in wonderment that they never take back the mistake, let alone apologize and retract the blunder, or if not a mistake, a downright lie that is simply passed over.
Bluster, bluster, bluster on,
The next election will see you gone.

Anyway I am not one to talk it, it seems in the light of this mornings choice of exercise programme. It fortunately happens that I have a very kind and forgiving husband who can suffer my mistakes with good humour.

Today the plan was to take a few TV exercise classes before we trouped upstairs to engage in another turbo training session in the little back room overlooking the back garden. Usually I just let Steve make the choices because he is after all not just my husband but also my coach and as such I rarely interfere.

In the past two months plus we have followed umpteen classes and have started to have favourites. I used to go to a Tai Chi class at a gym that was five minute walk from our home.
But then, a good five years of caring for Stephens invalid mother came into the picture and that class was on of the things that was lost at that time. She has been gone for over five years now, so that was over ten years ago.

Still, that is why the Tai chi came back because we both remembered that I enjoyed that class and a dance exercise class too. The gym will not be open for a good while yet in my opinion and anyway when the time is right, we will be out on our bikes and swimming will be back, we won’t be looking for alternate ways of keeping up our fitness levels. Having said that it is clear that we are both enjoying some of the classes that we have been taking to fill our morning after the serious stuff of Bike and Run are done. Flexibility is also important.


We are, as so often is so, between totally in accord as to which classes we enjoy most but this morning, I said to Steve lets do that one we did the other day. He was sliding through the Qigong sessions taken by a woman who has said her name is Marissa, at the start of each one. Steve was happy to do that and started to look for the one that had the movements I was demonstrating, since I had not taken note of the title of that set. He asked instead what she was wearing in the one I wanted to do again. She does have a huge variety of Qigong outfits and looks marvellous in any of them.  I thought she had a little red number on that day short sleeve simple short snug tee shirt and red patterned soft pants held at the ankle.

So this is where one of my old favourite quotes by a politician comes in; ‘Differing recollections sincerely held’. Though back in the day that was said, it was a polite way of saying the other person was a liar.  Steve found that red outfit and we did that session and I didn’t bother to say until the end that it was not the set that I meant. Steve laughs at me….. A lot….. So he set off running through the dozens of sessions that this very elegant lady has recorded. Next choice of stop was a black outfit. Again we did the session and once more it was not the one that I was thinking about but, I said to drop the search for today and not to drive himself mad, because I had misremembered what she was wearing that day and didn’t want to be a pain in the butt.  He decided to give it one more try, they aren’t long sets and all of them have a feel good factor. This time he said that if I had remembered it, it was more likely because she was wearing green rather than the content of her class, since green is far and away my favourite colour.

So off he went on another search, muttering jovially that it did not matter since the Qigong sets were not very long, unlike the Yoga sessions that the same woman takes that we had done yesterday and the day before that as well, with the very long held positions and stretches.


The next stop he made, Marissa was wearing I little white top with a bit of very tight tummy showing. Steve turned and smiled “She’s got green pants, this must be the one”. It was indeed the session that I had enjoyed and yes, the pants were a dark green pattern on a white background.

I am prepared to admit that it could have been the colour. Could the colour affect my feeling for the movements? I thought about it and it is almost worrying, yet the set was quite different to most of the others and it was the movements that I remembered and demonstrated to Steve and he had to admit that was also true. 


The undeniable fact remains, that I am very fond of green, whatever that may mean, if it means anything. I have got quite a lot of green clothing. I am fond of most shades of green but my favourites are, jade, emerald, bottle, and British racing green. I also like olive, mint, mossy shades, sea green and on up into light, leafy shades. It is also true that when pale coloured shirts in my wardrobe, white, pink or whatever, start to fade, they will get dyed to a darker shade but not always green, some become purple, another lovely colour.

Another fact about my minds colour prisms is my only problem colour, is pale blue. Not a colour I wear. Turquoise Yes, baby blue No.


No comments: