Monday, May 18, 2020

Places to go, books to read, plans to make, dreams to fulfill



Housesteads Roman Fort

Places to go, books to read, plans to make, dreams to fulfill


I have a few books to go through that have been given to me in the last week or two and I have enjoyed the first few overview that I have had flicking through them. They are flick through kind of books since all three have pictures. Two of them are walking books and it was funny that they should fall into my hands exactly at this time. I have been wondering more and more, as we find out more about the Covid19 situation, what I would do if the sport of triathlon, that my husband Stephen and I indulged ourselves in for 30 years was not able to continue in its present form. What direction would I want to take or which way would I turn for fitness?


It has been on my mind that we might possibly go back to long distance walking as event holidays. We have done quite a bit of that and thoroughly enjoyed it. The two walking books that fell into my lap are Great British Journeys, written by Nicholas Crane and seen on BBC TV.  The other one is Untrodden Ways: A guide to some of Britain’s lesser known long distance footpaths. I will enjoy reading them both because I do love point to point walking days, linked together into a holiday and a good test into the bargain.


These books had Steve and I scurrying for the old photo albums again and the most photos used today, are from a fair few years ago when we walked the Pennine Way with a friend and the photos I have picked today are of a highlight of that holiday. They also made me think of another walking trail that I have not done yet but would really like to, and that is the full length of Hadrian’s Wall. This is where I have to confess to a strong love of anything connected with the Roman’s. I am a big fan of all the treasure that they have left our nation.  We crossed Hadrian’s Wall on the Pennine Way and it was a hard task getting me to leave the Housestead’s Roman Fort. My imagination went completely off the rails that day. The books started my long term promise to walk the full length of the wall some day. It needs to be done. 


Other walks on my wish list are the Coast to Coast and there has been a long term longing for the time and money to walk the Camino de Santiago in northern Spain also. I quite fancy doing that on my own but I get funny looks all whenever I say that, I have read a pile of books about that one.


I mentioned three books at the start of this page and the last one is entirely different. The Fairy Stories of Oscar Wilde, illustrated by Harold Jones published in 1976. The illustrations are charming and these stories have passed me by entirely. I intend to read them next. 


I have always made a point of reading the most popular children’s books; I like to know what the little darlings brains and heart are being fed. So yes before you even think to ask, I have read all the Harry Potter books and thoroughly enjoyed them. My parents read to me as a child and they made sure I knew all the best tales. My mother made some up as she went along which was fun too. It has to be better to read to children and engage with them, rather than leave them watching TV or playing electronic games. I am one of  Mrs Thatcher’s ‘Lady’s not for turning’ on that issue.



No comments: