Monday, April 20, 2020

Turbo training 2.6 Challenge for Age UK





Turbo training 2.6 Challenge for Age UK

Having committed myself to this latest effort for charity I have been reminded that I have a handful of times struck out to try to raise some funds for one or other needy cause. And I sort of got to the point where I felt it would be embarrassing to ask people to donate yet again. Its true that the folk one turns to, are all the usual suspects aren’t they. Your family, the people you work with and in my case other triathletes or swimmers. Mutterings of Charity Fatigue and Oh not again get heard when you hit the same person for the fifth or sixth time.

But wait a minute we should always be glad that it is not us that needs charity. This is a special time right now, the like of which most of us have not seen. The charities themselves are running into trouble because all the big events this year have been cancelled and so the thousands of people who may be doing their first big race for charity have been side lined and they cannot raise money when the cannot race… the money comes with the success of completing the event. All those runners in the London Marathon, thousands of them, wearing fancy dress or team tee shirts are out on hold.




The 2.6 Challenge- Save the charities is to take place next Sunday April 26th.
The idea is to do anything you can that links to those two numbers either 2.6 or 26 or 260.
A friend of mine will hula hoop for 26 minutes and another will cycle his mountain bike up a short hill 260 times! CEO of Human Race LTD, Nick Rusling says that his Mum, will walk 26 laps of her garden even though she has severe arthritis. My husband came up with the bright idea that we should sit on our turbo trainers in our box room at home and cycle for 260 minutes, that’s 4 hours, 20 minutes. Hhhmmm! 







Yes that will keep us quiet for a bit. We hope that out efforts will prompt our family friends and fellow athletes to slip their hand into their pockets and pull out a credit card and donate to Age UK Brighton and Hove that also takes in our area in Littlehampton.

Meanwhile those charities still are expected to do their good work. Keeping care homes running, giving counseling at the local hospice. I am closer to 81 than any other age and so Age UK seems like the correct choice for me. In fact I had been asked to be involved with my local group to be present at the opening of a newly refurbished gym, where older people can try to maintain some fitness or work on their mobility, maybe after a hip replacement for instance. That opening fell foul of the lock down suggestions, so no classes then and no opening occasion. 

 


I have once more posted my intention to take on latest challenge on Facebook and Instagram as well as my diary page. It was Nick Rusling who asked me to see what I could do to help on this occasion and he is not somebody that I can ignore because in my long career in Triathlon he has been most helpful.









 
If we are sensible we know that the expression ‘There is no such thing as a free lunch’, is very true indeed. In the past Nick, has invited me to take part in his races and a race slot is not to be sniffed at. The only way I can repay him and Human Race is to be of use for the purposes of extra motivation and reassurance for new women who have just started in the sport that I have thirty years experience of. So gems of my advice may appear on their website blog with encouragement to new participants and I send them a couple of photos that can be used for the same purpose, in news items sent out to give the message that, ‘No my dear you are not too old at forty to try a triathlon for the first time’. Many women have years when they only consider their family and not themselves , that’s natural but when the children are older it is only correct that mum be given time out of her usual role to do something that will make her feel proud of herself for a change.




Turbo training is an important side of the sport for me since I feel that I am far too long in the tooth to go out on my bike in the worst of winter weather, so I do ALL my bike training indoors during the winter. I cannot risk falling off my bike on slippery road or hitting a patch of gravel whilst taking a downhill corner. I have had several broken bones in the past due to accidents like that.










So my dears think of Steve and I this coming Sunday as we turn those pedals round and round
won’t you? I hope the effort prompts some of you to make a donation, it doesn’t have to be an enormous amount, anything will help, and every little bit is good and much appreciated by me. It would be nice if you could help and I would be grateful that you thought it was worth the achy muscles that I might have for my run next day.

You can find my page on Just Giving easily enough. 


No comments: