Tuesday, April 7, 2020

The Joy of Running



That is a very disappointing shot of a spectacular full moon.
 It looks as though I have been blessed by a fairy don't you think.


The Joy of Running

Although it is fair to say that this crisis time in all of our lives is a major disaster with so many people suffering from this deadly plague that despite the claims on TV there is a possibility that the strict controls may be lifted soon. You don’t have to be too bright to see that if yesterday alone death count in the UK was 758, Seven hundred and fifty eight people in the UK have died, that is horrendous. To date the total UK deaths from the virus was 5655 and that figure comes mainly from hospitals and you know the final figure will be much worse. It sure doesn’t look like it is leveling off to me. This is not a movie, or a story that some clever clogs wrote to entertain us. This is not the time yet to relax restrictions and re-open businesses.

Our Prime Minister Boris Johnson seems to be confirming himself that things are as bad as they can get right now, since he is in intensive care at St Thomas’s Hospital just over the River Thames from the Houses of Parliament. Of course we all feel sorry for anybody who catches the virus, let alone somebody as robust as Boris Johnson falling heavily it seems. Now Mr Gove is also in isolation. My next door neighbour is still coughing in a three person household of young mother, father and an eight year old boy.

What you also have to see clearly is that most people are rising to battle and doing the very best they can in a truly grotty period of our lives. It will pass in time but it will have cast shadows. My son-in-law has kindly dropped some shopping round to us a couple of times now, since the time when we could shop on line for groceries seems to have come to a halt.
I have been trying half a dozen times a day to get onto the company we normally use, Ocado. That has been dead to all but the government’s most vulnerable list, since our last order three weeks ago. But we have been saved by St. Martin who cheerily called again today and added the he would be going again in a few days and so to send him a list of anything we are right out of. Today's delivery included some fish, since we usually eat fish at least three times a week and would definitely want fish this Good Friday, that is a tradition we have always kept.

 
Moving on to brighter things. The full moon was shining brightly when we left for our run today and it was to be a beautiful day as the lovely moon sank but not before a couple of photos that did it no justice whatsoever. The woods were desolate this morning at the very crack of dawn when we started running. Nothing as exciting as the bonny young stags we saw on Sunday came along and a lower count of seven deer altogether. Three Kites, a couple of bunnies and hundreds of more common birds and the handsome pheasants bred in their thousands just to be shot and there is nothing I can do about that. It is a fabulous estate and that is part of the estate business.

We were at our distant high point of about three miles when the sun rose from behind the next hill in sight. It astonished us both how quickly the sun came up as we ran along the ridge above the medieval village of Barpham, that was nothing but a few shapes in the ground below us but still clearly visible in my own very active imagination.


Again we had a great 10km run and I have to add again that this time has, even with the lock down restrictions, much improved our running, since we are not tired for a start and that we have been doing class after class on YouTube to keep supple and as a consequence our legs are in much better condition for all the stretching and toning work.

Once home again we launched into two sessions of the ultra relaxing Tai Chi, a good stretch session and a yoga class that I only did some of because I had other things to come like the Hula class!!! Steve asked me later how it was going and I did my private Hula dance routine for him, now complete with a few arm movements. He watched quietly while I did my Hula in the kitchen to the end of what I had learned so far and when I stopped he said “Amazing”! I don’t know if he meant amazingly awful or amazingly not bad in so short a time, I think the later.

Then Steve found me a new class that I did the first part of, without much trouble at all, just a watch and follow. That was the New York City Ballet warm up work out, think big I say. At the end, after he had watch me join in that, he said that he would try it another day but that he would stick to just the first warm up stage. He has also joined me in the Splits Challenge with support at both sides for safety. 



This is also not a very good photo of the mist over the River Arun seen from our run High point.
 
I will not be publishing videos of me doing my Hula that I only started because it seemed like good exercise for the hips. Same goes for my ballet movements since I lack a little grace these days. 

Below is an email from one of my friends that arrived just now. It gave me great pleasure.

Hi Daphne

So pleased to hear you're coping well. I’m also going out at 5.30 for a bike ride or a walk/run then home to doing my PAPERWORK !  I actually think its probably no bad thing to give the world a little rest and maybe people will settle and see what they can achieve and have the time to see what’s around them.

Will check out those links

Love Tina xxx

No comments: