Sunday, April 19, 2020

26.2 Challenge- Save the UK’s Charities





26.2 Challenge- Save the UK’s Charities

Well I didn’t have to think about what I would write today because I had a couple of emails that guided my mind right to the spot ready to become the thought for the day.
Charities are really feeling the pinch during the lock down with so many events cancelled when all the weekend warriors would have been racing to raise money for their favourite charities. We will be doing our bit for Age UK Brighton and Hove that also includes our own area that does so much good work.
My husband Steve and I will ride our turbo trainers in the box room of out Littlehampton home for 260 minutes next Sunday 26th. That’s 4 hrs 20mins.  I am still current ITU World Triathlon Champion in age group 80-84 I will be 81 In August and am working hard to keep in shape for my next race, whenever that will be a handful have already been missed.
For the challenge below, my husband/triathlon coach and I are going to sit peddling our turbo training bikes for 260 minutes… 4 hours 20 minutes.  The challenge takes place next Sunday.
I have set up a just giving page for Age UK Brighton and Hove. I am having teething problems setting it up but will get it working soon. You can find me on Face Book, Instagram and here of course.
Human race have just had to cancel my favourite UK race that I was looking forward to racing in it for the umpteenth time, well at least 26 times anyway. This year would have been really special since it was to have been the 30th presentation of the event. I got this email from Nick Rusling who is CEO of Human Race Ltd.
Please donate. 

        Nick Rusling, (letter below) CEO of Human Race Ltd and I at Windsor Triathlon last year.

Dear all

Sorry for the mass email but I’m working on something I wanted to share and hope to persuade you to get involved.  It started 10 days ago as an idea to support all charities in the UK, mainly as I know how much money they won’t be getting through from our cancelled events (Human Race’s Manchester Marathon, London Marathon and 100s others).  It then snowballed with support from the mass participation industry to become a true nationwide initiative with an ambition to raise £66million.   We’ve got over 200 people working on the project building up to 26th April.

We have created a challenge for anyone to do and you then decide which charity the money goes to – which means it will get to all charities – not just the urgent Covid-19 related ones.
PARTICIPATE – DONATE – NOMINATE

It’s called the 2.6 Challenge – Save the UK’s Charities to take place from 26th April.  You dream up a challenge related to 2.6, or 26, or 260 and get stuck in  www.twopointsixchallenge.co.uk
We’ve been on BBC1 News with the initiative with a lot more TV, radio and press to come - I am on Chris Evans’ Virgin breakfast show on Monday between 9am-10am! 
We’ve got 10 more days before it happens. Please help us spread the word and share this far and wide.  Let’s raise as much money as we can!   https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/52303634
The 2.6 Challenge two key points of difference to other fundraisers are that we:
  1. Enable the public / businesses to choose their own charity to give to and are here to help and Save ALL charities.  That’s why we are one of only two public fundraisers that the Government are supporting (with Big Night In). 
  1. Our challenge concept - 2.6 Challenge (people can do anything)
  • I’m going to hop 2.6km and donate to Cure Leukaemia and Women in Sport
  • My Mother will walk up and down her front path 26 times (using tins as cones to mark out her ‘track) and will donate to St Christopher’s Hospice
  • My brother is doing 2,600 press ups in April
  • We’ve got 26 Olympic Rowers (Pinsent/Glover etc) getting 2,600 rowers to join in on a mass row
  • The CEO of Welcome to Yorkshire eating 26 Yorkshire puddings. 
The 2.6 Challenge starts on 26th April – we are moving fast as the charities need the money urgently.
More info on how you can share this is below.

Please, please join in and spread the word – to your friends, families, colleagues etc.

You can all help make the difference to your preferred charity – it sounds dramatic but it isn’t I assure you.

Take care

Nick

Nick Rusling
CEO
Human Race Ltd


No comments: