Thursday, April 9, 2020

Maundy Thursday Joy




Maundy Thursday Joy



The Glory of the April Woodlands

Written by me last year
(No rain this morning it was lovely).






Thick misty rain at five o’clock this morning,
time to leave home for our long run.
Damp with dewdrops my nose tip adorning
we needed rain and should not be scorning
value nature study now without the sun

 The greater the effort the higher the prize
when Bluebells bloom and we are blessed.
A purple carpet on which to feast our eyes
as slowly to their highest height they rise
early still and they have not reached their best

Drawing one’s eyes away to the distant sight
the moving mauve of a million wild flowers
swaying with a gentle breeze today so light.
Above, the canopy of green leaves seems bright
top lighting the richness of the glowing bower

Soon to be overpowered by the blueness here
Wood Anemones tremble, their wee white petals
closed, asleep, hoping this misty time will clear,
waits to open its face up toward the sun to veer
its fate to hide beneath where settle nettles.

Primroses lie around in clusters on the banks
Cowslips and tiniest velvet Violets there.
Birds sing their little hearts out to give thanks
as summers engine up to full steam cranks,
winter’s gone; a country walk or run we can share.

How few see this free gift of flowery treasure,
breathe this perfumed air, and let imagination blaze.
Take some time to come out here to measure
time wasted frittering away our moments of leisure
to amble through our woodlands deep blue haze.







Today is Maundy Thursday for those who even know what that means these days, but I am guessing that the Queen will not be out giving the Maundy Money to a selection of people this year, I sincerely hope not anyway. The Queen is far too sensible to be out meeting groups of people this year in an Easter tide which is like no other we can remember.






 
My husband, who is such a gem, and I are still doing our best to fill our time so that we do not just twiddle our thumbs and wait for things to change. We are doing all manner of most useful things like the Head Stand Challenge! I started this by polishing up afresh a skill I once did much more easily. It has taken Steve and handful of practice sessions and this morning after a little more guidance from me, he did manage to hold a fair headstand long enough for me to get photos so that alone is half decent. He was so pleased at this, not so small a success considering that he never tried it before, that he went on to try a hand stand nearly knocking framed posters off the wall but still trying something new…… at nigh on seventy years old. I am proud of him even from that most ungainly attempt.


I will not be going for this one since a few years ago, I broke my left wrist; it looked a bit wonky when the plaster came off and the consultant sent me for another X-Ray. After a wait I was called back and he said that it would be best to operate and reset it. I had just had my arm in plaster for six weeks and opted with a short protest, to leave it as it was. Instead I was sent for a course of physio and I worked very hard at that. I have as near as damn it, the same range of movement as my right hand. I was impressed with the amount of time the appointments went on for. The wrist is still a bit crooked but thins could be worse and are very much worse for some people.




So there we are; that is why I won’t be doing the Hand Stand challenge, I will keep working the very neat headstand I have got going at daily practice and on the splits too instead. My Hula dancing is coming along and I have done four or five Hula for beginner’s classes on You Tube. I am now much more sure of my moves, and have started to improvise now I have arm movements going with the hips. I got a bit stiff and first but now I have got the figure of eight movement working nicely for me. Maybe not much use to have studied this art apart from self satisfaction but a new skill none the less. There will not be any videos of this. I am strictly a private dancer. Push yourself in every endeavor, the rewards are there for the taking.





The quite amazing morning moon yesterday, I believe this os one of my Daughters wonderful photos. 
www.jacquelinerackhamphotography.com





The deer count went up to a remarkable 19 on this morning run session through the woods. Although not quite so spectacular today the moon was still enormous last night and present at the start of our run.  



No comments: