Sunday, March 24, 2019

La Bohème: Close Up Opera


                                    All photos are taken from the website of Close Up Opera 

My training has gone well over the last month and things are looking good for a fairly well filled season ahead. Going along with that, I have been tired but have slept very well. On top of that I have been busy with the rest of life too. We still manage to get out a bit to relax but usually still with sports friends. There are several little groups with whom we love to share social outings. They are all swimmers, though not all triathletes.

We go out to dinner after the club swim sometimes and that set varies, between 6-10 of us, though not dressing up and all having goggles marks around our eyes after our swim training. Then there is a smaller group who go to the small local art house cinema when something grabs our joint attention. A smaller group generally three or four, who go on more serious theatre trips that have to be booked months in advance. I book those myself. We nearly always make an evening of it, with a nice dinner somewhere before hand. Then there is the final group that are opera lovers. We do take a little more time getting dressed for those, maybe Glyndebourne or a gala evening somewhere, again meeting up with a wider group of other athletes.


So last week when one of the ‘Opera’ crowd said that La Bohème was on in Worthing and shall we go, I left the arrangements to her thinking it was one of the, ‘Live From’ filmed live performances, usually from a West End theatre or the Royal Opera House or maybe from the New York Metropolitan Opera House. Those evenings are a big favourite because they are such amazing value. These, you get to see in your local cinema for £12-15 and you get to see the very same performance that the rich folk, in their diamonds are paying £250 each for in the Opera House proper.

That was what I thought we were going to last night. Even though the tickets were twice the usual cinema price but thought no more of it other than everything goes up in price sooner or later. However, with my busy training schedule when the time came, I had forgotten that we were going out at all until the last moment as we left the house to go to our regular Saturday evening Trinity Club Swim session. We were both dressed in jeans, a scruffy sweater and trainers without even putting any socks on. I only remembered then, because my friend had sent a text to say ‘See you in the car park or the foyer’. 


I did get my swim in, whilst Steve coached the club session. This added to the ghastly state of my appearance by finding myself with no time to attend to look in a mirror. I had wet rat’s tails hanging from my head, down to the cable jumper I had worn for two days. Steve had his work anorak over his jeans and sweat shirt.

When we parked and hurried to meet the group in the foyer we discovered that it was a live performance by Close Up Opera, who had recently won an award as Best New Opera Company. Our friend, who had excused herself from swimming that evening, was a picture of elegance, face made up prettily, feminine clothes and shoes. The only male friend, who is always nicely turned out, with his smooth silver pony tail was looking decidedly dignified. The last member of our swim group was wearing a smart bronze brocade jacket and had taken some trouble to do her hair.

 None the less they were pleased that we had even made it on time and George who describes himself as central European, stepped forward to plant two kisses charmingly on my cheeks. I hurriedly apologised to the group but Steve could not have cared less as we were given tickets for our front row seats! 



Close Up Opera, are not self named lightly and after the first act the action moved into the fully illuminated auditorium with the cast moving about the theatre continuing the well known opera in English and I felt, quite loosely translated. The one line that I questioned from the original libretto was, “She changes her mind more often than she changes her knickers”.

It was an astonishing new production of Puccini’s famous work and brought a heavyweight work like this right down to earth. My husband, who usually hates it when modern dress is used, had to admit that it worked well in this brilliant take on the original work. One of our party was a virgin opera goer and remarked that she had no idea it would be funny, at which point I told her to make the most of it because that would not last into the final act, that, would bring out the hankies.

We were all happy that we had been lucky enough for at least one of us to have spotted this little small gem of a company, who are on a national tour. They will be a household name before you can say Mimi!
Thank you Close Up Opera, for a marvellous evening with the stuffiness knocked right out of Grand Opera. My name is on their mailing list now.


No comments: