Friday, March 15, 2019

Any Publicity is Good Publicity


                                         Photo: www.jacqueline-rackham-photgraphy.com

In the light of my coming of (very old) age, I did think it was a point where I could try to do some charity fundraising again. It is five years since I last tried to help the remarkable Chestnut Tree House, when the challenge that I dreamt up was to do a mini triathlon every day for the 75 days approaching my three quarter of a century mark my 75th birthday. That was a lot of fun apart from the few days when it rained.

So my 80th will be four fifths of the century. Now even I can’t believe that. How did that happen? Well anyway, this year I will devote my entire triathlon season to trying to raise as much as last times effort when we hit a sum well over £6,000.00. I hope to double that at least this year. 


My great age and the fact that I am still fit enough to get round a triathlon course has caused a bit of a stir and there have been a few articles in the newspapers. The ETC Magazine named me in the top 100 most inspirational people known to West Sussex, along with my hero, spaceman Tim Peake, and Olympian gold medallist Sally Gunnell, and a host of well known folk. That was very nice indeed and I loved that honour.

Recently The Argus was given information about me by the office of the fun Brighton event Run2Music on May 11th when I will be doing the 10 km; it also has a 5km and a half marathon, all very noisy, dancing, singing, music blaring everywhere. It was a motivational piece and worked well as such. 



I usually submit my own stories to local newspapers and that makes sure all the facts are correct. Most people will not even notice a few little mistakes, it is the heart of the story that matters I suppose. I am a bit of a worrier if things are not totally correct. I was interviewed but still…..
I was promised that a link to the charity would be included and that credit would be given for the photo, taken by my professional photographer daughter. These were not included.


 That story was taken on by my home town weekly, naturally enough, that is how news works, and they popped me the front page. That was nice, very nice indeed and the newspaper added an extra honour by changing their Facebook profile photo to include the front page this week with me and my bike there large as life in the photo taken by Jacqueline Rackham. They used the story as it stood and nobody rang to check, in fact, the first I knew about it was when my hairdresser Helen come to cut and colour my hair when she burst in saying “You are on the front page of the Littlehampton Gazette”. Of course there was no credit for the photo or a link to the charity because they had no knowledge of that one condition.

Even so my darling daughter has said that she will do an action shoot when she gets back from her photographic holiday in Scotland. She thought we should do that to keep the photos fresh and up to date.  How kind and thoughtful of her.

This thought now to conclude this bit of blathering. I was contacted in December by Einar Tho who is editor of the Haugesunds Avis Newspaper in Norway. This is because I had entered The Ironman 70.3 Haugesund and would more than likely be the oldest woman in the event. That will be my main race this summer on June 30th. I look forward to that tremendously. Einar sent an email with an introduction of himself and followed with nine sensible questions then followed that up with more questions and some clarification.


In the fullness of time he sent me the article to see and who knows what it says because it is of course in Norwegian. I posted it on Instagram and one of my Scandinavian friends told me it said really nice things and not to worry. There was a ripple of new Norwegian follower friends and that is really good I am tickled pink about that. I hope they will come to the race and shout loudly at me, the more the merrier because that is the only down side of races abroad, nobody knows you.

Any publicity is good publicity eh?

To Donate: www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Daphne-Belt

If you prefer there is also a link to AgeUK if you google Justgiving.com/DaphneBeltAgeUK

No comments: