Monday, March 11, 2019

A Weekend with Daf and Steve


            another amazing photo by www.jacqueline-rackham-photography.com

I do try to make pages of my blog interesting for most people when I can, but today I thought I should give an idea of what a few days of my triathlon training is like for somebody with a fairly full life anyway and in the light of the approach of my 80th birthday which even I find hard to believe. So, non-sporty people should maybe just look at the pictures on this day’s blog, or maybe look away altogether if they tire easily.

Friday morning started much the same as every other Friday with the alarm going off at 5.20 am
This allows us both to be ready to go to our swim session for 6.30 am start. My husband Steve coaches the faster swimmers in what I call the Animals Lane! These are all people I see under the water as much as above the surface.  For these early morning swim sets, three times a week, he swims in that lane too but loses some of his own training but making sure that the rest of his babies are working hard. There is not much rest at the end of each swim before he is shouting GOOOO again. These days I swim just outside of that lane, it is actually in the open area of the pool but most people do not want to swim right next to the fast swimmers because its too splashy. So a friend or two of mine and I swim in a very narrow stretch right next to the lane rope for the most part. We do a deep push of at the ends after turning, passing under the oncoming swimmer behind us and so we are still not taking more that one set of shoulders width of water even though there may be three of us women training in that narrow stretch.

The guys, and a couple of women in Lane 1, are doing a distance or Ironman training swim set and mine is aimed at Half Ironman distance, so the set itself, is around 1900 metres, plus there is a warm up, and for a swim down, I do about 300 metres back stroke because I like to hold on to my backstroke since years ago I did have a county record for 200 back at one time. Who know what life may throw out, one day I may just be a swimmer and not a triathlete any more.



So after the swim on Friday I did a turbo session on my own at home. Then some office work, phone calls and emails and stuff like that.

Saturday morning with another strong wind blowing, there was a turbo again but harder than Friday and Steve was there to crack the whip. He was on his turbo trainer bike next to me but just spinning since he had had a hard week at work. I was sweating buckets and being told what gear to change to and how long to go in that gear. The session was 90 minutes.

Saturday evening we have our club session with some of the same but also some other swimmers. In my lane, there were four swimmers working to this schedule and being told when to go by Steve rather than follow a printed schedule on poolside. The one hour set went like this:

400 mtr warm up

1 x 400 metres
4 x 100
1 x 300
3 x 100
1 x 200
2 x 100
1 x 200

Swim down

  Sunday morning Steve and I went to Arundel Park intending to do two laps of a regular run there.
There was another storm blowing just a strong as last Sunday was during Storm Freya, but the wind coming roughly from the north instead of the south east as is more usual. The run in Arundel Park is off road for the first half and mainly up hill, some is steeply up hill and muddy and slippery. Once out of the park near the cathedral we are back on solid footing again and almost level as far as the top gate of the Castle, then downhill on the High Street as far as the post office. Then the last section is a flat footpath by the moat beneath the towers of the castle all the way back to Swanbourne Lake. Then comes the start of lap two. At the end of that, we were both pleased since we were faster on the second lap by about twenty seconds and that is an improvement for us both. It was a PB for that course for the first couple of months of this year.

Although it was a breathtakingly windy day it was mostly bright and did not start raining until we had go in the car and started or drive home for a nice hot bath and change into clean clothes. I had to tidy up a bit and chase the hoover around because this was the day for the once a month Poetry group that I host. We call ourselves Scribblers. My friends would be arriving at 2pm when we just about had time to bring every chair in our little cottage downstairs for the group reading. We are a mixed group and there are only ably twenty people on the email list for newsletters to be sent to, so this means that on any one occasion there will be between seven to eleven of us, just a nice cosy comfortable amount of people in one room of a small house. 

                       Credit again to Jacqueline Rackham Photography


We bring anything we have written on the last month and read it to the group. We also read anything else that we want to and that is widely varied, e.g. This time I read a couple of my own and then read the first poem that ever fired my imagination and made me a slave to poetry. At my senior school there were two most marvellous teachers who influenced me enormously between them. One was Mrs Thomas the poetry teacher who also mentored a speech choir that met weekly and we entered festivals and such. The second and no less of a dedicated wonder was Miss Feltham the music teacher who taught music (obviously), there was an actual music class, but also gave her time to choir practice and on a rainy day lunch time would pass our a pile of music books and play the piano for a sort of requests time for those interested.

Mrs Thomas read ‘The Wreck of the Hesperus’ in the way that it would have been read at the time Henry Wadsworth Longfellow wrote it in about 1842. That was a bolt out of the sky moment for me, a ton of bricks jaw dropper. In looking it up recently, it stated that he was paid $25 for it, quite a lot of money at the time I suppose. I had read it to Steve in the week, when I had him captive on a work day, driving on a motorway. He advised me not to do ‘The silly voice’, I compromised and read it seriously but not as dramatically as Mrs Thomas. I am after all only me and not her.

So at school I was easily able to attend practice (because my parents were not home from work until after 5p) with the Speech Choir, the school choir practice and due to the fact that I attended both a ballet as well as a tap and acrobatic dance school I was also in the folk dance group. Oh yes and the Little Theatre school in the holidays. Best not to mention Maths and Science!

So there we are, a weekend with Daf and of course Steve who cares for me in a thousand ways, one of which is to cook me the very best food to keep me healthy, give me energy and to delight the palate and the eyes. 


 

No comments: