Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Art and Sport: Shut up and swim.


        The photo above is my husband/triathlon coach's poolside shirt for club swim sessions.

During the early morning swim set today, my friend Bekka and I got dark looks every now and again because in between swims, during the timed rest period, we over-ran the designated time allowance on a number of occasions. Bekka is the only one of my swim friends that shares my love of movies, plays and such and so when we get together, though both keen to do the swim work, we do talk at great speed in between swims. This morning, I will admit we were guiltier of this than is usual because we were at odds about the award winning film The Favourite. She had seen it weeks ago and like most movie goers thought it the best film this year.


The Favourite had returned to our little local cinema several times before there was a showing, when everything worked for my husband and I to go to see it. First time it was a late showing, 8.45pm way too late for us to go out. We get up at 5 am in the mornings to do our training for heavens sake. Then my husband was away working in France for the next set of film times and so this, was the first time it was possible for us to fit a visit in. 3.30 pm Tuesday and with a weeks notice from the weekly email. We could and did make that a date. Bekka and her friend were already in the cinema when we got there and that is how she knew that we had seen it. Her second visit to see the movie mark you.
         Me on a spring day during one of my many visits to Hampton Court Palace. 

Steve and I don’t always agree about films but on this occasion we thought that the Kings New Clothes had been waved publicly and vigorously. We both thought it was a load of tosh, absolute twaddle as far as we were concerned. OK, Olivia Colman cannot be faulted in anything she does, so we go along there, Academy Award rightly placed. 


This seemed to be a most unpleasant film, make it up as you go along stuff as far as British history was concerned. Then the costumes looked like nothing I had ever seen in all the royal portraits in all the galleries I have wandered around in my quite long lifetime. More like the Red Queen in Alice in Wonderland. I hated it. I don’t like Emma Stone anyway and liked her less in this, than I did in La-La Land and I didn’t like that either.

The sound in some of the scenes was horrendous and I didn’t like it at all and in fact as we sat there I was wondering how bad it must be for the people who did not have a bit of a hearing problem like myself. Horrid, weird repetitive groans and creaking noises like an old water pump. Then there was the jaw dropping use of a fish eye lens distorting the beauty of the magnificent interiors of Hatfield House and one of my favourite places to visit at lease once a year, Hampton Court Palace. Offense after shocking offense for me.


And so, that is why our timing on the morning swim schedule went sadly awry. There was a hurried exchange each time the schedule called for a brief rest. In the end it was not until my friend left after her normal 30 minutes exercise as opposed to my 60 minutes focused training work out that peace was restored. I think it cost about 200 metres of my set. I was glad to get home for a sweaty wheel spinning session on the turbo trainer with my husband afterwards. At least that went according to plan and helped worked out all the frustration involved in suffering that thoroughly nasty piece of art work by Director Yorgus Lanthimos who must already know that cannot please everybody in this world. 




No comments: