Sunday, March 19, 2017

Triathlon Super Series




Last evening I was so pleased to see new lady Christine Holyoake turn up for the club session so soon after she was hit by a taxi on a roundabout close to her home. Her legs were patterned with bruises but she seemed otherwise normal. Her very first pool based, sprint distance triathlon will be held in Woking and is just two weeks away now. 

Her swimming has come on in leaps and bounds and last night she was right on my feet for the whole set. She has been out on her bike since that collision and has not had her enthusiasm curbed at all.


I was tired last night after running four days on the trot but that didn’t make much noticeable to my swim pace, although I did get cramp towards the end of the set but still carried on swimming, I just had to try to concentrate on a song in my head for the purpose of thinking of something else other than the cramp. Steve did notice and asked if I had cramp and when I nodded my head in affirmation he told me to bite my cheek or something. I think my method was best. It was one of my favourite songs to swim to. ‘Could we start again please’ from Jesus Christ Super star, in the show it is sung as a duet by Mary Magdalene and Jesus but I was listening to the version sung by Ramin Karimloo. I consider myself blessed that I can turn on music in my head whenever I need to. My favourite warm up/swim down song is ‘Hey There’ from the Pyjama Game sung by Hadley Fraser. I have a good swim pace song library stored away in my head. Swim sets at the bottom of the page.

Accuweather are to blame for the change in training schedule this weekend since they plainly said that Littlehampton would enjoy a Sunday that was not too cold, had only 4% chance of rain and that being late afternoon and a slight WSW 14 mph wind.
When we got up this morning it looked like a false promise but decided to take our chances on getting the bikes out.


We rode to a very quiet spot that has a one mile long hill that is not too beastly and rode to and fro on that for a while to get a little hill training in. Later we dropped down to the coast joining a regular flat route at its furthest point and riding back home straight into what was by that time a strong wind from the west. Both Steve and I had aches and pains after having a very good week training behind us and in fact we did not stop for the usual coffee and cake on the way home because Steve said that if he stopped he might not get on again, so we plodded straight home where we had a nice soak in hot water.

The rest of this weekend we have been glued to the box watching the new Triathlon Super League that was really exciting and entertaining in the multi event format with I think two to three races per day that was very refreshing viewing. 


The venue was Hamilton Island, Queensland, Australia which I strongly recommend you look at on Google maps, tropical and a half and spectacularly beautiful.
The Co Founders are Chris McCormack, who we all know well along with two other men Michael D’Hulst and Leonid Boguslavsky. There was big prizes money involved.

They had obviously got some serious backing from somewhere although the only company name I can remember from TV due to all the signage on the course was BOLLOX Energy Gels. Wonder why I can remember that? 


Don’t take this as gospel but the races were something like this:
Day 1.
 3 sprint tris.
1. Swim-bike-run. 2. Run-bike-swim. 3. Bike-swim-run

Day 2.
1. Bike time trial
Swim-bike-run-bike-swim

Day 3.
Was three mini tri’s.
Swim-bike-run (then a break), swim-bike-run (another break), swim-bike-run. 


Overall winner after the three days of racing was South Africa’s Richard Murray who looked very pleased with his cheque for $100.000; yes, he took home one hundred thousand dollars, a great pay cheque for a weekend of work.

Apart from the big disappointment of Alistair Brownlee being struck down with flu or something equally horrible, it was excellent viewing and I am sure we will be seeing a lot more of these events. I for one am looking forward to the rest of the series.


It reminded me or a weekend of races that we did in our early years of Triathlon. It was run by I think Phil Templer, was that near Holmpierpoint? I am not sure but that was great fun, a real blast.



The Eton Sprint weekend comes nearest to that now I suppose and maybe they could get more fun for the money stitched in to that weekend.

Lane 1
1 x 400
1 x 300
2 x 250
4 x 200
6 x 100

Lane 2
1 x 400
1 x 300
4 x 200
5 x 100

No comments: