Friday, March 17, 2017

Best Laid Plans





No matter how carefully a project is planned, something may still go wrong with it. We all have good days and there are bad days. The same goes for weeks, months, years and life times for some people for that matter. As far as training weeks go, this was a good one with two very nice bike rides and even in the light of what I said just a we days ago, my running has gone well this week too with four runs put in. My swimming seems to be in a pleasing steady state.

My head has not been on my shoulders quite straight this week with one thing and another and the shortest of the runs was put in on the spur of the moment, just to get some fresh air when I was feeling a bit tearful; it was just a short run around the block from home but managed to lift me a little. This morning Steve and I had another little run along by the moat underneath the castle battlements in Arundel and further along toward the Black Rabbit pub on the river side. Just on a whim when we got back into town, we took a walk up the High Street by the castle wall turning at the top and looping back past the old courtrooms, now a social centre and film club.

We had coffee and skimmed a newspaper in Osteria, chatting to an acquaintance with an antiques business in the town before returning home where we both got ready for the rest of the day; Steve off to work and me pretending to tidy up.
On the down side, I have found my Auntie Bet’s passing much more of a problem than I would have thought and that I suppose is because of the end of an era aspect of it because she was the last of my mothers six sisters.
Then my triathlete to be new lady, got knocked off her bike whilst, filled with enthusiasm caught from a couple of fun sessions with Steve and I, went out on her bike on a nice sunny spring day. Then joy of that balloon was punctured when a taxi driver struck her and she shot off her bike and landed on the bonnet of the car. Her account here below posted on Facebook.
It did have to happen at some stage I guess, I had my first accident on my bike. I was riding on a roundabout and had nearly cleared the first lane. Then a taxi just drove straight into me. No chance to break at all. I left my bike over the handlebars to end up on the cars bonnet. My first reaction was: My BIKE, MY LOVELY BIKE! Fortunately, my bike is fine, the chain came off, and that was that. I have a bruise and minor cut to finger. Car is minus one bumper, ugly scratch from side of car all the way to the bumper, and slightly humiliatingly a bum shaped dent on the bumper! The car driver was really shaken. Due to the sun setting he just didn't see me. Genuine accident.
I sent her a message and asked if they had exchanged details and asking if she had she reported the accident. She is a police officer but with me being a bit of a mother hen I had to check because in my view, if you cannot see because of the sun on your windscreen you should not just drive on regardless.
She added this: On a good note, new PB on 20 Km Daphne Belt
Today I have checked on her again and she still claims that but for a couple of cuts and bruises that she is ok. I hope that as well as her bruised bum, that her confidence is not also bruised or her happy enthusiasm. Hopefully it will just make her realise that at best, we can only think for ourselves and be alert at all times.

On a lighter note, my dear friend Helen over the road, who is my hairdresser martyred herself and came to do my six weekly hair colour and trim, at 7 pm last night because I had mentioned that we were going out with friends tonight to the theatre and if she could come early we could get a bite to eat before we went in. Helen kindly changed to the day earlier; wasn’t that kind of her. We always have great fun whilst my colour is working and last evening she showed Steve and I the video of her darling little granddaughter Amelia, practicing her ballet before the next lesson. This is a saucy blonde dot of three and a bit….. just priceless, it really lifted my spirits. Below is my own little ballerina about fifty years ago.


The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry.



No comments: