Sunday, August 28, 2016

Worthing Triathlon: Standard Distance


 
My race 

After we got back from Steve coaching our club swim session last evening we ate my preferred pre race meal of fish and potatoes that was hand made for me by my super cook husband. He had made a delicious haddock and salmon fish pie with a mashed potato topping earlier in the day and all I had to do was turn the oven on so that it was ready after swimming. It was early-ish to bed last night so that getting up for Worthing Triathlon would not be difficult. To relax our minds we watched one episode each of Season 5 of Hell on Wheels and one of Preacher both of which we are loving. 

I woke at 4.30 am, got up and made my coffee/honey mix for my bike drinker. Steve woke up just a little later. The race venue is only about five miles away and since transition was to close at 7.15 a.m. We didn’t need to leave too early because at that time on a Sunday morning parking would not be a problem. We parked just a short way across the green and walked our bikes into transition, laid our bike and run kit out and made mental notes to help find the bike after the swim. Mine was directly in line with beach hut number 142 and Steve’s was in line with a dog-poo bin just out side the transition railings. 

After a unusually lovely few August weeks of sunshine and warm weather I had predicted on Facebook yesterday that Sod’s Law would cause the weather to break before morning, even though Steve’s favourite Surf website had forecast condition for late last night and this morning  as ‘GLASS’…… Wrong. By the time we got to the race base at the Goring End of Worthing beach area there was a fairly strong wind blowing and dark grey black clouds all around. I’d say the sea was looking choppy if a wanted to be kind and the full high tide was not until and hour after the last wave of swimmers set off. 

The last wave was all 55+. So I would be setting off last with men and women in all the older age groups. I am in the 75-79 age group and was the oldest person racing, not just the oldest female. I figured that I would be on my own fairly quickly since I was starting with five age groups that also included my husband in the 65-69 group. 

The current was running in one direction and the wind was blowing a hooley in the opposite direction. On giving me my last, coach to athlete advice, Steve told me where to start on the beach and to take it easy in the swim section, his final words were a question “You don’t mind it being rough do you?”  

It was rough. A more than the usual amount of registered competitors had not turned up at all, some chose not to swim when they saw the state of the sea, and I am told about twenty did not finish the swim and either swam back to shore before completing the swim or were taken out of the water by the life boat. Looking at the results of some people I know, some cut the swim short but went on with the rest of the triathlon none the less. 

I allowed myself to settle in and had planned to swim only at my pool warm up pace so that I could swim slowly and deliberately rather that start with a faster pace. My reason was that I breathe to the left and so was going to be slapped in the face on the outward leg. There were big waves, about a metre I would say without exaggerating; Big rolling waves so that sometimes you could not see the next buoy at all. One of my more worrying traits is that love the feeling of being lifted and dropped by a rough sea I find it quite mesmerising; another reason to take it easy. Steve is right you see, he knows that I enjoy the power and movement of the water. 

At the swim finish I did have a job standing up because of the injury I am carrying but one of friends, who is a fire officer and knew I might find the swim exit hard was marshalling that position, took my hand and helped me for a moment to stand up straight. Thank you Garry Locker much appreciated. I was pretty pleased with my swim. 

The bike ride was very windy and I opted for safety over speed, since it was a hilly bike ride with some exposed sections. It also rained whilst out on the bike and I took the down hills sections carefully too. Since I was the oldest person in the field I had not expected anybody to be behind me after the swim but at least three people passed me at intervals on the 40km course. After they had gone I knew I was the last athlete because a motor bike marshal was passing by, stopping at a lay by somewhere until I passed again and shepherded me all the way back. On the run I did not realise that a marshal on a bike was doing the same thing until he came alongside in the last kilometre or so to ask if I was ok. The return was head on into a wind that had been building up in strength during the event and I was walk-jogging the last few km because it was difficult to breathe directly into the wind. 

Even though I was the last person, there was lots of support, all the Marshalls were just great and I saw several friends who came out on the course to cheer me on. A bit of support goes a very long way. However pretty much everybody had picked up their kit and left by the time I got in the finish. The Town Mayor who had made an appearance had also left having been on hand for presentation. That was well done with by my arrival but Mick Dicker of Raw Energy Pursuits, did give me the age group trophy that I had none the less fairly and squarely won being the only one in that group and a little prize. I was as tired as the Marshalls must have been after all their hard work putting on such a satisfying event that was a qualifier for the European Standard Distance Triathlon Championships in Kitzbuhel, Austria in 2017 

                    Swim     TR 1        Bike      Tr 2         Run              Total

Steve           25.15      2.36      1.34.00      2.11      1.11.36        3.15.38

Daf              37.05     4.42       1.52.31      2.31      1.19.42        3.56.31

 

No comments: