Thursday, August 18, 2016

A Chat on Radio Sussex


Alistair and Jonathan Brownlee GBR 
Gold and Silver Medallists
2016 Olympic Games Rio 

 Yesterday whilst bustling around the house keeping some sort of order in a household that is dominated by our sport and the need to get favourite bike kit through the wash process and back on our backs for the next ride, my mobile phone rang. After the usual speed of light headless chicken search for the blinkin’ thing, I did manage to get hold of it before it told me that I had another missed call. It was a man from Sussex Radio. The guy who rang seemed not to have a clue about triathlon and had it seems dug my name out of their files of people locally who do know what they are talking about.
 
    Triathlon World Championships, Edmonton, Canada 2014
 
My last interview with them was last summer just before going to the Triathlon World Championships in Chicago, so I was fairly recent. Before that they had invited me on the station in 2014 to talk about why I was doing 75 mini triathlons leading up to my 75th birthday. The answer to that, was to raise funds for The Chestnut Tree home for children with life shortening illnesses. 
The researcher opened the chat by saying that he understood that there would be two young chaps from Yorkshire competing in the Olympic Games Triathlon and did I know anything about that? So, I was just being used to give them a base for the event that was on this afternoon.
I explained first, that one of the great things about Tri was that it was age grouped all the way through and so one only competes against other athletes of the same age and that was hugely appealing, almost inviting. I went on to say that another great thing about it as far as I was concerned, was that you very often could do the same race, on the same day, as the huge stars of the sport like the Brownlee’s or Jodie Simpson or any of the rest of our top elite athletes.
 
 
Long Distance World Triathlon Championships, Sado Island, Japan 1998
He then checked on how long I had been competing in triathlon. I wondered if he was just winding me up because I was sure they had all my info in their files: Well if he was turning the wind-up key, then I fully fell for it. I dropped the modesty and told him that I had competed in all sorts of wonderful countries across the world, Japan, USA, Canada, Denmark, Sweden, France, Hungary, and Australia whilst representing my country in Triathlon World Championships. Another turn of the key in my back came next as he asked how I had got on with that, and had a won anything at all? So, I told him that yes, I had been age group World Champion 9 times at various distances and had a total haul of 15 medals from Worlds and 4 European AG wins, also 30+ National age group titles.
When the call came this morning from the radio station, they had got the age group thing straight and had invited a child of 10 on to contrast with my 77 years to show that it was a sport that welcomed all ages and the interview was conducted going back and forth from me to the 10 year old Tom, who was in his second season and who was utterly charming and spoke up for himself very well. They asked me the old sage things and asked Tom what he found so enjoyable. I had to smile when he was asked what he was best at and he said it was running and that he wasn’t so good on the bike because he hadn’t got stamina in his legs yet. As a parting shot to me they asked me what advice I would give to Tom and I replied that he would see the biggest improvement in his results if he worked very hard on his bike.
 
Children's Scootathon at Dorney Lake Eton
 
I posted on Facebook today that I had been on the radio and a friend of mine, James Hodge who had heard the programme made this complaint: I was listening and to my surprise you came over the airwaves. I was a little disappointed you didn't tell him how many Ironman races you had done. I also think he should have given you your correct title of World Champion Triathlete Daphne Belt but apart from that great interview x
So just to put thing right James, its 18 Ironman races, plus quite a lot of 70.3 events.
Perish the thought that it is getting closer to the time when I take up paddling at the waters edge, half a mile to the post box on a mobility scooter, hobbling to the front door. I intend to put that off as long as possible.
 
 
 
 

 

No comments: