Monday, August 15, 2016

Simple Manners Please; Gathering winter fu-u-el


It is only mid August but already the sun has started its journey south and sunrise is now not until gone 5 a.m. I know that because I am up at that time. We have been blessed with a few days of sunny weather but it will not last long and soon we will start to move slowly into autumn. 

I can’t believe that it is already time to order some winter fuel again, but that is what I found on today’s page in my desk diary. So I looked up the company on Google and rang one of the numbers listed for the company. On answering the young man asked me firstly for my post code and then a few seconds later he asked my name and the first line of my address, then for my account number. I did not have that to hand so he found it using my address. Then he told me that he would put my through to another office that dealt with my area. After being transferred, I started at the beginning again this time with a young woman speaking to me. After getting through the few questions she then told me when we had last placed an order, only slightly cloaking the hint that it had been some time since we had ordered from them. She came back on the line after a moment or two and asked how many litres I required and I replied that I didn’t know that either and had not been asked that before and that we just wanted the tank filled please, and that I supposed it would be about the same amount as it had been previously as shown on our account. She then told me that I was just too rude and disconnected my call!

So, I started again using the number that I had dialled previously and when the man answered I started again by telling him that I just wanted to order some domestic fuel for our home and told him politely what had occurred when I had been transferred to the other office. “Wow” he said, “That is so rude, unbelievably rude, I do seriously apologise”, he said that he would have to put me back through to the same office but took a while and when he got back on the line he told me the name of the assistant that had spoken to me previously should I wish to take it further. I told him that I just wanted to order the oil and that I did not have time to make a big thing out of it since we all have bad days now and then. He apologised again and put me through. 
 
I don’t know for sure, but it sounded like the same person who had hung up on me who this time told me that the call must have been disconnected somehow! I thought but did not say that all I wanted was the fuel and not an argument, that’s how wars start for goodness sake.

This time the young woman was polite, even when I mentioned that I had previously been instructed to ask for the smaller truck to deliver since we have a narrow driveway and she said, “That’s fine, it says that on your delivery details.”
 
She went on to ask how I planned to pay and I replied that they usually sent us an invoice. That was met with the information that because it had been some time since we last ordered we would be required to pay on or before delivery. 

This is a company that we have used as long as we have lived in this house which is about twenty four years. However, I asked her if she would give me a moment to speak to my husband who was sitting next to me and passed this on to him. He said we would pay on delivery and that was found to be fitting for the company. The young woman told me the price plus vat and said that they would let us know by email when delivery would be made. 

Although my heart rate had become more rapid during this quite long process, I had remained calm and polite, if despairing of the manners and manner of people like this.
It is true that I am getting old, but this sort of thing happens all the time now. What happened to good old fashioned civility? 

Some company’s have pre-recorded messages saying that the call is being recorded for marketing purposes, well I hope these calls were recorded but I very much doubted that anything would be done. 

Please people, please, let us all make an effort,  as am I, to just be calm and polite to people we have to speak to, in whatever situation we find ourselves. Good behaviour should be taught in the home before our school days. At Sunday school? I was always sent on Sunday afternoons but think that may well be a thing of the past. Then it should be reinforced at school and surely on seeking a job, we should know how to conduct ourselves before being let loose on the public and should be properly trained at the company we are employed by.

Manners folks, manners.

 

No comments: