Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Future Olympians




 

My eyes are completely square now that I have had them glued to the big arse telly that we have been watching the Olympic Games on. It is so inspiring and not only because Team GB have been so successful this time. British Cycling and Gymnastics has been the stuff of heart attack’s with the tension and has obviously gained enormous popularity from the 2012 games in London. I have nearly burst with each medal won by our hardworking Olympians. 

It was pleasing to hear that the young American gymnast Simone Biles say that she has worked so hard after being inspired by the previous Olympic games. We can only hope that our own youngsters in the UK will be inspired in the same way. 

I am feeling blessed that I have two nieces, well, great nieces actually, since they are my Brother’s grandchildren, Hannah Monks and Lauren Monks. The younger niece Lauren has been very successful during her childhood as a gymnast and has recently, inspired by her elder sister Hannah’s success in the Volleyball world, also switched to that sport. I hope maybe this will make life a little easier for their mother, my niece Sarah who with her husband have given these girls every ounce of support they possibly could which has meant driving great distances to take the girls to games, training, competitions and matches, committed to doing whatever they can for their girls; And of course they have been shouting at the top of their voices from the side lines.
 
 

They live at the other end of the country to me but I try to keep up with the news and hope it helps that I am very interested in their progress. I have them both as Facebook friends and the FB link helps enormously to keep me in touch. Just to show the level of youthful enthusiasm, here are some sample private message exchanges over the last couple of years between us. Bless them both.
 


oxoxoxoxo 

Hannah: Hi Auntie Daphne, this is the link for my volleyball matches my first game is it at 9am this morning against Scotland west and I have another at 2 against Wales, I also have games tomorrow and Sunday if you can't watch today and if the link doesn't work then let me know so I can tell the team manager, hope you enjoy it xx 

ME: That’s great, I love seeing what is going on in your world. It is YOUR World. XX

Hannah: Hi AD my team and I are unbeatable in this tournament, we have won 5 out of 5 games including the favourites to win the England cadets, we are now through to the final today against Scotland west so will be coming home with a medal!! Hopefully a gold!! The game will be live at 12:20 and would love for you to watch it is still the same link as before, just click on the volleyball stream, would love for you to watch!! I will be playing in the number 12 shirt in red or white x

ME: Hi Hannah, I have been thinking about you and Lauren and hope that these Olympic Games have been an inspiration to you both. XX A.D. XX

 Hannah: Hi AD The Olympics have been amazing. Me and Lauren are always talking about making it one day! I have been selected to represent England in a tournament which is a mini Olympics for young Athletes. I will keep you updated throughout. XX
 
 

Me: Love to hear how you are getting on since you both have great potential AD xx
 
Their Granddad will be proudly watching them from Heaven

No comments: