Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Trinity Tri Club group email

 Hello Friends,

Ok I admit it, I have started to lose to plot entirely during this nightmare time.When it will be safe to get back in the pool, I have no idea but Steve doesn’t think it is just yet. You must be your own judge on that and I guess that means the younger the sooner.

Please forgive me if you hear a note of depression seeping through here.

Up until now Steve and I have been doing some good sound run training in the early mornings and spending plenty of time training on our turbos but not getting out on the road that much. Swims have been but a few on the best days with the calmest sea.

AI had a text from Chris Packham to let me know that one of our oldest members, Ben Barden had died. Ben joined us right back from the 6pm Thursdays at the Aquarena days. Chris had heard this from Ben’s grandson. Ben grew into triathlon from a few local event up to ironman distance. I have been thinking since I heard this sad news of a time when I had nagged him into entering a Sussex 12 hour bike time trial and since he needed to do some long bike rides he did go along. There were a couple of places where there were dog legs, and he turned round when he saw me, caught me and asked me to tell a marshal that he had done enough (110 miles) and that he was off home since this was the nearest point. He said he wouldn’t have entered but for my nagging and reminded me that I was totally barking mad which was sweet of him, he had a wry sense of humour.  I just checked and Steve did about 196 miles and I did 176 so I think barking mad is fair enough Ben. I have tried to contact Ben’s wife Linda, but cannot get through on the number I have, if anybody else has a contact number please let me know.

 This last week neither Steve or I have been training. Steve has been very busy trying to finish the work he has left before we close our warehouse on September 15th do directly to the effects on our clients who are mainly American, due to the Corona Virus.

My sister Burnhild, who has always been a good friend too, had a six hour heart bypass operation last Sunday, she and her husband and my nephew live close to Manchester and I have been most concerned but she is starting to recover slowly of course. Fingers crossed for her return to health, she is more than a good handful of years younger than me. No house visitors in that area for the time being. So, updates are by phone and text with my nephew Jason.

Steve has decided that this is a good time to take our annual leave from training, for a week or two; though usually that is at the end of September when we have done a dozen or more events.

Let’s hope we can get back to normal sometime though I don’t see it for a while.

I miss you all badly as I also miss my poetry group that did help to keep my head in at a respectable angle.

 

Love to you all

 

Daphne XX and Steve of course XX


 

 

 

No comments: