Sunday, August 2, 2020

Passing Clouds


Sitting next to my husband in our VW Caddy van as he drove almost to Dover and back yesterday, we got well stuck into the audio book we are listening to making the journey in heavy traffic on a holiday weekend must easier to bear. We 5 hours of it read we still have 28 hours to go!

My husband says that I must have been a snail or a tortoise in another life because I like to carry everything I might possibly need with me where ever I go. Yesterday I had picked a big soft bag and apart from my phone of course, I had thrown in, a notebook, (writers of any kind always have a notebook), then the instruction page from the pattern envelope of my next dressmaking scheme, also a tea towel enfolding everything that would enable me to carry on with my current embroidery work and keep it spotlessly clean at the same time should we grind to a halt in the traffic.

The work time drive for Steve though, gave me plenty of time for cloud study. Most people take gazing at clouds without a thought; sometimes they make a little entertainment and sometimes they coincide with your own concerns and stretch the imagination further than a casual glance.

With the addition of my daughter’s young dog Jeffrey, who is around half a year old now, I am often seeing bounding puppies in the sky and there were several of those up there as we made our way along motorways. Then clear as crystal, up popped Kermit with that harmless dopey grin below those big buggy eyes. At one point we were caught up on a huge interchange where there had been at least four cars involved blocking up the access roads, although thankfully, there did not appear to be and casualties just groups of people all on their phones looking harassed and it was during that hold up that I saw a dead alien laying across the sky, that I would think was my mind reminding me how close life and death in fact are.


So maybe our hopes and fears as well as what makes us happy, all figures into what you may see up there. Al that may account for the regular appearance of Sharks, Alligators in my passing clouds when travelling to triathlon races with open water swims.


No comments: