Wednesday, August 16, 2017

The Worst That Could Happen



Scribblers News

I am going to call the piece I have posted here today, contemporary poetry or if you don't think it is that, (I am quite new to this modern stuff) then let us say that it is just a piece of Flash Fiction, because it is in fact exactly 500 words long and that is very often what is required in that field.
What it also is, in truth, is a race report from last Saturday, so if you don't reckon it as poetry and you don't like short stories then it is just a diary entry again.  

The Worst That Could Happen

Well, we do hear about the horrible things
that people do to other people.
The papers are full of dreadful stories
and so I understand why
my friends and family
worry about me now;
now that I am so old.
Here I am still doing things
that some people,
some a lot younger than me,
gave up attempting years ago.

You must be more careful.
That is the most common thing I hear.
Remember you are not twenty one any more

The thing is,
I like what I do
And while I can
I will go on doing it.

Last Saturday I had great fun with my friends.
We took a train to the Isle of Wight
Lots of people do that right?
Admittedly, most of them do not
bung their clothes in a bag,
stick it on the back of a van
to be transported
to the place where they will
finally arrive; after they
have swum across the bay
from Sandown Pier to where Shanklin Pier
used to be before the Great Storm destroyed it!

It was a 1.8 mile swim
without the buoyancy of a wetsuit,
they are clearly frowned upon
by the organisers of the event.

Don’t be so daft one person said to me.
Daft is it? It is not the first visit.
My friends and I look upon this
as a fun day out together,
a club outing.
We have done it for years.

Mind you, there was a moment
when I couldn’t see any other swimmers
anywhere near me, or safety canoes,
or the lifeboat for that matter.

What’s the worst that could happen?
I asked myself.
Well, I am 78 years old.
What if I got terrible cramp?
What if a got Hypothermia?
What if I had a stroke?
What if…….
A Great White Shark ate me?
There had been a sighting
off Hayling Island
five miles away
mentioned on the BBC South today news.
I had taken that with a pinch of salt,
probably just Basking Sharks;
they only eat plankton.
How do they know,
that I am not plankton.
Must be the smell I suppose.

If I were to be totally honest
I did feel better toward the end of the swim
When I saw a safety canoe close by me.
He pointed the right route out with his oar,
telling me that I was a little off course.

In actual fact, three much younger,
Muuuuuch faster swimmers than me
Did get very cold.
Uncontrollably shiveringly cold.
Even though they were in the water
a lot less time than me.

There was soup and bread at the finish.
No showers available
No changing rooms.
It was sort of communal changing
in the boat house,
each facing the walls
and not looking at each other bits.

The best part
for us lot from Littlehampton,
was that we were presented with
some pretty smart but old silverware.
We did really clean up,
with four trophy’s between us.
Nice. Good work.





No comments: