Saturday, August 5, 2017

Scribblers
October 8th. Don't forget to put the date in your diary.
2-4pm at the 'Look and Sea Visitor Centre in Littlehampton down by the river side.
Hope you see lots of new faces bearing sheets of scribbled poetry lines to read to us.
Email me, Daphne Belt, for find out more. 
dafbelt@outlook.com and to send me your poems to post on this blog if you fancy doing so.



Thanks Will

If only he were still here and alive
And had the centuries survived,
I’d like to give the man a hug
See him give his beard a gentle tug.
I’d like shake the great man’s hand
For plays seen on evenings planned,
Tell the bard I’m filled with pleasure
Burned in my soul to forever treasure.
Thank you Will, your plays were great
Hook line and sinker, you sealed my fate,
From childhood I have been your fan
Did your mind make me what I am?

My husband and I attended a funeral service in Shoreham followed by a short drive to the cemetery for the burial both of which were very moving due to what was a sudden death of a friends and work associate.

Poems pop into our heads for all sorts of reasons and this short one below was the child of that funeral yesterday. They are an excellent way of dealing with our emotions and I find that they work well as a kind of therapy.

Lengthening Shadows

Too late to gather rosebuds now
Missed opportunities regretted
Forgotten those to whom indebted
Selfishly ever onward plough
Passing those with whom you once duetted

Too late as shadows stretch out longer
When unsung comes the last sunset
Inevitably seen the life long threat
The current pulling all the stronger
Trickling down your neck a drop of sweat.

The old man in the sea is not Neptune rising from the water, it is just my husband Steve
at a charity swim last week in Littlehampton to raise money for operations for children born with a cleft palate, living in countries where the operation is not performed as a matter of course. Freestyle 4 smile is the charity.

No comments: