Friday, August 25, 2017

Eclipse for Scibblers



Scribblers
Sunday October 8th from 2-4pm
For anybody who is afflicted with the need to scribble
come and read what you have written
other poets and authors would love to listen
let us gather together in friendship
At the ‘Look and Sea’ Visitor Centre
above the Harbour Lights Café
overlooking the River Arun
in Littlehampton
Email me with your questions or to say
that you cannot wait to meet us: dafbelt@outlook.com

Eclipse

Even though I would have loved to travel
to America to watch with child and adult,
when the greatest eclipse in memory occurs
as the moon passes the sun, to fully occult.

Folk took holidays abroad to wait in awe,
wonder, close to fear and strange emotion.
Stargazers all, some for just that day
all don weird spectacles in their devotion.

Who asks how terrifying this was, way back
when phenomena like this were not predicted?
On an ordinary day, day became night,
was this to them, end of the world depicted?

As a marvellous passing darkens the sun, 
what a gift to see these celestial bodies.
In previous centuries utter horror begun,
this happening shared now is anybody’s.

For sure there’ll be stories sworn for be true
inexplicable, stranger than fiction tales.
A huge clock stopped, a healthy man died
silence of birds, sad cry’s of the whales.

It is possible that anybody reading this might think that I am totally mad, completely out of my tree and off my trolley. If that is indeed the case it is because I have a very full life. I have a very full head too and this is entirely my own fault if keeping fit and healthy to the degree that I do is anything to go by. You would think that I do enough physical exercise without taxing my poor soggy brain a well. The thing is, that sad little woman I may be, but I have so many interests and find it hard to put one aside to allow any of the others a chance of fulfilment.

This weeks fabulous eclipse do keep me enthralled for a while but sadly I was only able to watch it on TV and not join a Facebook friend I have in Kansas City watching the heavens for real.

Tonight my best friends which includes my husband Steve, are going to the Collector Earls Garden in the grounds of Arundel Castle where we will chatter and munch our way through a picnic, washed down with a glass of something bubbly (In the case of my man and our friend Anthony that will be mineral water), Michelle and I will have the bubbles to ourselves but since there is a two hour allocation for picnicking and then a full performance of A Midsummer Nights Dream, that won’t be hard. There is a focal point in the gardens called Oberon’s Palace made from local wood so there could not be a more perfect setting.

     Oberon's Palce inside The Collector Earls Garden, stands in front of the Cathedral 

We will all take along something warm for an extra layer in the second half when it can get chilly even in summer. This is England after all.

Swim Training this morning for me was:
400
50
50 Rolling the set four times
Total 2000 mtrs

The guys ploughed through a much longer set and still came out smiling.

Great massage yesterday Vicky Vickery, thanks pet.

No comments: