Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Time for a time management revue.

 


With just a glimmer of hope that some day we will be able to travel again, I am in the process of re-thinking my time management.

Something has to give if I want to bring in a new project.

What I have to decide is which area of my crammed, full to bursting life style will have to be snipped back to make room for something else.

 

My sports training will remain in first position and that cannot be shortened, not while I am still fit and well enough to pursue my event dreams.

Having missed the whole spring and summer season last year, I am still strongly aiming for those races that were postponed.

There is still a shadow hanging over that plan and I wonder how long I can hang on to my fitness without the motivation of events on the horizon.

I am not that worried about all the swimming that has been missed and I don’t think it will matter if it takes a little time to bring it back up.

Steve and I are still counting on being able to get that second jab; which could make a lot of difference for us.

Running and biking training time has been kept up well, on alternate days, only missing a day every now and then.

So that aspect of time scheduling will not be touched and its all done in the early hours anyway.

 


So where to cut back? I like to keep my diary writing going.

I enjoy pouring out my thoughts and it harms nobody.

That firmly stays 3-4 days per week.

 

Handiwork then? There is no more room in my cupboard space for more shirts, dresses, trousers etc.

And my family and friends will start to find it annoying if I press more small stitched items into their hands.

Mostly those things have been put in the bottom of a drawer I suspect.

That’s fine, that was my intention, a tiny reminder of a friend who loves them.

 

The sewing can be cut back, but not cut out, because I find it relaxing yet there is no pressure with that.

It is just a life-long hobby that can be picked up and put down.

 


The new project that I am trying to squeeze in is to learn a little bit of Italian before the next trip to Italy.

This is an area where I am a bit of a pain in the neck. Not that I will cease to be such in other areas still.

I have a person rule that I think if you are going to take a holiday somewhere that you should at least be able to learn a little bit of the local language.

My belief is that it is very rude indeed, not to at least know polite greetings, ask the way, and say thank you, as well as most importantly, order your coffee without sign language.


 

I have struggled to manage ‘Get By In’ standard before a lot of trips. Nothing that clever but enough to be polite.

 

I did do a couple of years adult education evening classes in German, since Stephen and I have travelled through German speaking countries most and that has rubbed off on Steve even though he has never spent a moment with a book of a CD.

 

Years ago, when I had qualified for the World Long distance triathlon Championships that were to be held on Sado Island, Japan I bought a book and CD set since I was sure it was a good idea for the trip, even though I would be travelling with the GB Team but without my husband.

That was a challenge in itself and was a lot of fun when I got there, but I could go out on my own to shops and order tea and toast politely and it was appreciated.

We went from place to place in a team coach and we had a courier who gave us lessons on identifiable edible food that was also useful as well as what signs said.

It was a Karaoke bus that was also fun because there was no question of refusing the microphone no matter how badly you sang.

On the way back to Tokyo our courier translated a movie which I remember being the original before Richard Gear and Jennifer Lopez as the dance teacher, were in Hollywood version.

 

 I have a couple of friends who are multi-lingual who I greatly admire. I am a poor shadow compared to them, but I have a go.

One of these friends recommended a course I could do on my phone anywhere and anytime that I had a few minutes and that is what I am doing this time.

Duolingo is the one I have signed up for six-months of so.

I don’t intend to waste any of that time.

I started off just doing 15-20 minutes a day so that I did not get too muddled in the early stages.

Now I am settling down for about an hour and really enjoying it.

 

When I told Stephen that I wanted to get a little bit of Italian squeezed in, I asked him if he would do just a little as well, even if only a couple of times a week.

He has failed on that request so far, apart from if we go out for the day in the truck.

He will then listen once through, on my alternative system which has two CD’s and a booklet.

That is an Earworms set, called Rapid Italian.

That works to music!

And the very first thing on the disc is ordering your coffee!

No study, just listen and try to repeat.

That is the limit for Steve so far.

I am not brilliant by Swiss standards, but I am trying…… very, very, trying!

He does agree he should learn more, if only to read the menu and order a meal and know what will arrive.

He would be happy to understand more, but is not worried about being able to do a lot of talking.

 

Ciao!


 

 

 

 

No comments: