Sunday, January 26, 2020

Snow Polo, St. Moritz.


Snow Polo, St. Moritz.


Most of my holidays are when I go to compete in my beloved sport of triathlon somewhere, as I did at the beginning of September 2019 in Lausanne, where I was so happy to win my age group, considering that my new age group was 80-84.

I have, in this important part of my life had some amazing sport holidays. I have competed in the Ironman World Championships in Kona, Hawaii three times in my thirty year career as a triathlete. Sado Island, Japan comes very high on the list of most memorable and enjoyable as does, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, San Diego, Miami, Lake Placid and Perth, Australia.



So it is not so surprising that I like to watch other sports too. The only holiday that my husband/coach Steve and I take that has nothing whatsoever to do with triathlon, is a winter holiday where the main aim is to watch other sports. Yesterday we spent much of the day walking around the frozen Lake in St Moritz watching Snow Polo played at top level by the very best in the world.










The venue is just mind boggling, since the lake is transformed into the most remarkable ice village-playground for the very rich, but open to all who like ourselves love the sheer beauty or the most agile horses and the masterful skill of the riders. You can pay a fortune to watch from the grandstand or drink Champagne in sumptuous luxury sitting in cushioned chairs beneath ice sculptures. Or simply wander around the arena and see the battle for victory from other angles. For myself, I prefer the far side where the sun is on my back and not in my eyes yet falls like a floodlight glare on the horses and riders.





We watched a semi final and the final in the weekend contest that we had looked forward to since we began to plan out umpteenth holiday in this sprauncy resort. St Moritz is full of expensive hotels and every designer outlet known to the rich and famous, consequently there is the addition of the fashion show as an added amusement.  



No comments: