Thursday, April 4, 2019

Swimathon Triple Challenge April 29th-30th-31st 2019





    Olympic Gold medalist 
Duncan Goodhew

   My husband Steve and I have taken part in the annual National Swimathon event for many years. We have found it a useful part of our triathlon training because there is not often an opportunity to swim 5000 Metres in a normal public session or indeed even a club session which is only one our long. 200 lengths, does take a while.  Without intending to sound biblical; ‘In the beginning’ 1980 0r 1989 I think, it was a very serious event. I remember well that Olympic Gold medalist Duncan Goodhew came along, speaking words of encouragement on poolside the first year we took that challenge.

   It was all very strict and swimmers were set off at ten second intervals in their lane where that had been carefully placed, according to their estimated swim time. Swimmers with a rough similar swim time, swimming together up to six in a lane. That worked well and the group could benefit from swimming together. Fast swimmers in the first lane and gradually working down to slow swimmer or people who were all doing breast stroke. There were lane counters seated at the end of the pool and swimmers were given different coloured hat to make it easy for the person counting to mark them off each time that came back to the starting end.

   When a swimmer reached 50 lengths a pull buoy was held into the water for the swimmer to see and check their own counting, since most people are not very good at holding their concentration whilst swimming a long distance, it's easy to think of something else and when the mind wanders, even just a bit, you can lose count. The same thing would happen on reaching 100 metres and 150 meters and that was most helpful to the swimmers.

    Then each year, you can try to bring your 5000 metre time down, a little at a time and that is very satisfying. Of late, the system seems to have been neglected a little there is no sign of a pre-swim talk advising how to pass the swimmer in front if they tire and start to hold another swimmer up: They should tap the feet on the one in front gently and then at the end of the length the slower swimmer would give way. All very civilized.

   This year a new idea was added to the selection of what was offered to contestants to enter. As usual there was 5000, 2500 and  I think 1250 this year, a stronger event was on offer to be taken on; The Triple Challenge. This would mean doing that swim on all three days that the Swimathon takes place at swimming pools nationwide. Having said that though, most centres only host the Swimathon for two days, hours of the choice of the management.

   And so it came to pass, that my husband and head coach of our club had to drive 38 miles to find a pool where there was the option to swim on the first day.  We headed for the nearest pool we could find and that was Leatherhead Leisure centre with two time choices; 1pm-4pm and then an evening session of 4pm until 7pm.

   Our No.1 swim of the ‘Triple’, that we had entered at Leatherhead on Friday 29th was a total shambles. There appeared not to be much in the way of planning and the staff had obviously not been trained to manage this event well. In fact nobody seemed to be able to answer any questions without looking round for somebody else to provide the answer. What a shame because it is a nice centre. Faster swimmers were given a lane together. The rest were not really worried about much or so it seemed.

   I was put in a lane where there were two faster men doing Front Crwal, then two others doing breaststroke, one other lady and myself made up the six. I did FC. The other lady appeared to alternate FC /BR.  It was VERY rough, with aggressive overtaking, resulting for in some bruising. The young staff had no little or no idea how to manage the event. One staff member strode along poolside about twenty minutes after the appointed start time just shouted , "You can go now"!

   Timing should be precise, to the second, but was not because we all went off together.  So there was a sort of messy mass start. Not a ten second apart start, as there should have been. Timing was left to the swimmers really as the counting was not great but not the staff's fault. The staff did have at least, the Swimathon supplied forms and there were counters doing their best I suppose.

   I was told my time was 2 hours 6 minutes and thirty seconds. I hope it was at least sent in to Swimathon for the results. I doubled up my chances by sending my own in, along with my complaint.  My husband counted for himself and when he had finished he shouted at me how many lengths I had to go. It was sad to see the event go downhill like that. But we did not complain about the staff. Not their fault, just untrained for the task at hand, with no idea how important it might be to some of the swimmers. E.G National age group positions.

         Poolside in Littlehampton Wave, our wonderful new swimming and sports centre

   Thank God and all the angels, on the Saturday and Sunday, I swam at the brand new Littlehampton Wave centre that was run in a much better fashion.  Both days were evening swims, and some of the people who had entered were not present. One of my friends did not feel sufficiently recovered from the bug he had been suffering for a few weeks and my husband had had to go to France working.  Saturday 30th I had a lane to myself as did another friend in the fast lane, that was nice but of course slower without other swimmers to work with. 2 hours 08.


   Sunday 31st. I swam with two other women the same speed, taking turns in the lead. One of those was only doing the half distance, so I continued swimming with a woman I know well, who was taking the 5000 metre challenge for the first time and was terrified that she would not be able to get through it . I was quite sure that she could and would. We swim roughly the same speed and are both triathletes. We did 2 hour 3 mins 00. We were well counted by another female friend and supervised by a manager also.

   My total for the triple then was 6 hours 17 minutes 30 seconds. My DOB 14 08.39.
I will be 80 in August, so was not sure if I would be in Age group 75-79 for actual age on the day or 80-84 (if age is on Dec 31st as it is in the triathlon world). I have taken part in the Swimathon many times but really enjoyed the new triple challenge in my 80th year.

Thank you for reading my tale.




No comments: