Saturday, April 6, 2019

Date Afternoon at The Pet Sematary



Steve and I have never even thought about ‘The Date Night’. It must be a modern thing probably, we said one to other, negotiated within a marriage or partnership where one partner feels they would like a few hours where there are no distractions. They hope they will have the full attention of the one they love. I have noticed it being mentioned on social media posts these days by people I know, a few of whom seem like they are not the most likely to have thought it up within their own ‘bond’, if they even have one of those.

My husband and I have nothing like that sort of set in stone assignation. Our lives, work, training and level of exhaustion all rule out anything so solid. Our outings are not a regular thing but generally a last minute arrangement. Steve has just come to the end of a very busy work period where he worked all week long for the last week in March and then had Friday 29th afternoon off when he came with me to Leather head for the first on my triple swimathons. Very early the next morning he flew out to Marseilles in the South of France to work the series on French Antiques fairs with a group of other transporters and shippers for the clients that they were there to take care of.


Meanwhile back at home I had two more long swims and was helped with support of friends. I was invited for brunch on the Sunday which was Mothers day, by my daughter Jacqueline and her husband Martin and their little dog Louis, who is referred to as my grandson since he knows me as ‘Nanny’, that was a happy and relaxing few hours. Apart from that I had my own company. 

On Monday I had been told on the phone from France to take a rest day by my coach/ husband. There was no choice for me since it was the day My Castle opened for the summer season.  People tell me that I shouldn’t refer to Arundel Castle as My Castle. The reason is that it actually belongs to the Duke of Norfolk. Yet I have been to visit that castle more times than most other local people and therefore I must have some Right of Way of something similar surely. I used the Earls Garden as my bolt hole when I was chief carer for Steve’s mother in her last couple of years. Our cousin Sally would come and sit with her while I hid for a while scribbling poetry notes. I would sit or wander around by Oberon’s Palace or deep in The Stumpery or the greenhouses or in the Fitzalan Chapel or the White Garden. Anyway, that was where I sent my sports rest day, in the main body of the castle and playing in the Keep and the Armory.

Back to my husband. He arrived back from France very late on Tuesday night, it was almost midnight. He was up and out early with a few more pressing days. On Thursday night he ended a twelve hour day arriving home at 8.30 pm. Meanwhile my little car, Marcus who is about seventeen years old and was owned by my daughter for his first few years, decided to throw a wobbly and would not start. He had been playing up all week, even though I talk very nicely to him, understanding of his age and delicate form due to some rust patches. “Please Marcus” or even “Pretty please Marcus pet” slowly lost their charm and by the end of the week, no amount of kind talk would stir him to life. 


On Friday at 2pm I had an appointment with my Acupuncturist Feng, at Harmony Acutherapy clinic in Chichester. I told Steve that I would take a bus but he said that he would be able to finish early and that he could take me over there and do the shopping while I had my treatment. My husband is something of a kitchen Diva and likes to select all his own wares. I only get to do shopping for washing powder, ironing water, water softener, bleach, coffee, etc.

After that he said we would get something to eat and then I could pick a movie. This is an area that he is not allowed to be involved in; he cannot pick the movie…. EVER.

So Friday afternoon I went into Feng Wang, who knows more about my body that should be mentioned in company. He knew about the three long swim days and set about calming my body down starting first with my head…. My family and friends think this is very telling. Then he worked on my poor old overworked and stretched back. Then pretty much everywhere else. If he were a fairy or a wizard and simply waved a wand and said “Soothey woothey wiggley woozy”, and it could not have worked better. But I would have missed quite a lot of the strange treatment that is heavenly. I left feeling light, calm and refreshed.

Steve had come to meet me, and we had a light lunch of salad frizzé followed by steak frites in one of our favourite chains ‘Cote’, just South of Chichester''s ancient Cross. There was time for that because the movie did not start until 4pm.

 
There was no question what we would see. I am one of the group that Stephen King calls ‘His Constant Readers’ We have both read, Pet Sematary, about six months ago and their was absolutely no hesitation when I told Steve that was what we were going to see. He said that was ok and that it was just as well that he remembered everything about it. I said we had read it but actually we had it on Audible on a long journey through Germany, and Switzerland and both thought it was one of Stephen King’s best. Not THE best as far as I am concerned; but right up there close to The Stand, Dreamcatcher, Duma Beach and the Dome.

Of course, we had discussed that it would make a very scary movie at the time that we listened to it on our three day journey in autumn last year. We both thought that we probably would not jump right out of our skins because we knew what was coming. However we both did at the first spot. Then because it had to be so re-written and compressed to squeeze into a two our film, it was blood and bodies and the newly un-dead all over the place and that for me made it less scary.

Steve and I talked afterwards about people who like to go to horror films and I don’t bunch myself in that crowd but I am an SK fan. Maybe, I put forward as an idea, that they are people who do not get enough exercise to raise their heart rate and need to be frightened to give their usual slow heart rate a kick start now and then, Steve just gave me The Look, for that remark. It is a scary movie but I also think that if you have not read on of SK’s books you have missed a lot, for he is a great writer, he is feeder of new idea’s and I like that use of good old boy expressions and the use of other peoples work and music references.

The cast are excellent. The father/husband character is superb and he was in another choice from the next film on my list, Aftermath, Jason Clark. The wife/mother was Amy Seimetz and John Lithgow as Jud the old guy across the road from the house with the Pet Sematary in its grounds. What a little star the happy darling child/super horrendous back from the dead child Ellie was, little Jeté Lawrence. So ghastly, that I had to smile a couple of times that she played it so well. There were less than a dozen people in the cinema at the  twilight showing. Date afternoon over.



No comments: