Monday, October 30, 2017

Harbour Lights Poets



 Harbour Lights Cafe right in the centre under the Look and Sea tower

 The next meet of Littlehampton’s newest poetry group is just two weeks away on Sunday November 12th at 2pm until 4pm. That is Remembrance Sunday. I hope that there are a whole passle of poets chomping at the bit to join us and read their latest work. Next dates after that: Dec. 10th / Jan.21st / Feb. 25th all 2-4pm

When we set about starting the group up, it was obvious that a name was needed and since I very often call myself the Phantom Scribbler, we did not stretch ourselves to think of anything else when it came to spreading the word and booking a venue.

There has already been a suggestion for a new and much more suitable name put forward by the very first poet who came to join us and did read several of her poems at the first meeting.

When I told my daughter that a new name had been suggested she came quickly back to me saying that she thought it was my group. Well I don’t think ownership comes into poetry because in our very essence we are free spirits, free thinkers are we not. Besides which, it was only the idea of starting a local group that was mine alone. Steve suggested the venue and we rolled on from there.

So just after Susan Wade emailed me and gently gave her idea of a more suitable name, I can only admit in honesty that my first reaction was to think, Ooooh! That’s a bit more romantic than Scribblers and most suitable. We meet at the Look and Sea Visitor Centre, in the meeting room that sits cosily right above the Harbour Lights Café and through which one must pass to get to the stairs. I can only kick myself for not being the one to see the obvious.

Soon after that I went out for a bike ride with my husband and told him that Susie had suggested that we should be called the Harbour Lights Poets. He turned to look at me almost falling off his bike with surprise and said “You have to say it sounds perfect, doesn’t it”. The next morning queuing outside the reception desk at the swimming pool I mentioned it to our friend Anthony who was also part of the first gathering. He turned and said “That certainly trips off the tongue doesn’t it”. Then it was tested it again on two more friends they looked at each other and said “We are liking that, very much indeed”.

So if there are no objections anywhere, I think we may well become the Harbour Lights Poets. Since there are others interested in joining us, all that is left to say is that you can send me anything you would like to share on this page and I would be happy to post it for you. We look forward to meeting everybody who has contacted us about the group. Until then, more of my scribbling below.
 Littlehampton Bonfire Saturday 28th Ocober a week before the famous Lewes affair.


Guy Fawkes Night Nov. 5th
Littlehampton (a week early).

During the pre-swim chat last night, I was corrected!
Me! She who should, due to her age and experience
at least, be respected, if not obeyed. No chance of that.

Point of dispute was my question: Why do we,
the British people celebrate Guy Fawkes night.
He, who tried to blow up Parliament in 1605.

My recently retired senior police officer friend said,
“No Daphne, we celebrate the failure of that plot”.
Do we really I wondered, before going to watch

the massive town bonfire lit in front of hundreds
after the torchlight procession through the town.
Fun Fair, music, lights, laughter and chips for all.



Under Cover

Don’t judge a book by its cover
An old saying so wisely tells.
When looking round for a new lover
or listening out for wedding bells.

Knowledge needed ‘ere you uncover
Don’t be bewitched by magic spells,
with friendship you can rediscover
then time, all mystery soon dispels.
 

Oak and Ivy

Unnoticed advancing at a stealthy pace
belly crawling silently towards the prey,
unsuspected being so innocent of face
as owls catch mice, so Oak is Ivy’s prey.

If Ivy even has a plan
or is simply a serial strangler.


No comments: