Tuesday, April 21, 2015

First time for everything

I met a child in the bank yesterday and we had a little chat during which he told me that he was five and a quarter! Kids like to claim every moment of extra age they can don't they? Well at seventy five and two thirds and having started triathlon at fifty, I am once more putting myself up to do something I have never done before! Tomorrow evening, I am going to one of the Worthing's World of Words 'Write' evenings. That alone is not new, since I have been before but to listen and enjoy others reading and singing their work. With a little bit of pushing from my daughter and husband and indeed Melody Bridges who puts these evenings together, I have said that I WILL read a bit of my own poetry. For some reason or other I am very nervous about this. Why? You may well ask, because all my friends know that I normally have plenty to say for myself. However, when I am asked to read aloud I become a stuttering, stammering mess. Explain it I cannot. So. Wednesday evening it is then. 7.30pm in Frasers bar at the Connaught Theatre Worthing. I have been practicing on my husband and a couple of friends have had to suffer and so far, I have not read any of the selected possibilities faultlessly. So wish me luck with my new venture, or come along and throw things at me, that at least would relieve the tension. If anybody reads all of the following you can let me know which (if any) you like best.

All Hail the Stones 

All Hail the stones, that’s what I like to say
Whenever a journey takes me along that way
The Neolithic site has such magnetism
The difference in theories a mighty chasm
Standing there more than five thousand years
Each time I see them my eyes prick with tears
Where lies a more impressive prehistoric site
Who died in the building and what of their plight
Mystery shadows the move of the sarsen stones
Surely not for a graveyard to fill with bones
Architecture introducing tongue and groove
The mortise and tenon theory they also prove
Maybe brought there by barge facing rude waves 
That jaw dropping feat brought about using slaves
Rolled into place on stakes by a servile hoard
What methods to raise them then were explored
Ropes, A-frames, massive counter balance weight
Oh to have seen these giants hoiked up straight
Long ago lost in endless time the reason why for
No expert historian sounds entirely sure 
What was the idea or purpose or why on earth
Blood spilled in construction must have worth
As a coronation place for ancient tribal kings
To worship stars or primitive idols with wings
Now the most popular modern interpretation
Why the stones were brought to this destination
Most generally accepted as a place of worship
Thought up by an ancient entrepreneurship
Pre history astronomers with the solstice aligned
Stones mystically to capture each equinox designed 
Circle within circle around a central pagan altar
First computer worked out in a priest’s secret Psalter
Predicting eclipses or for magnetic healing
Strange affairs beneath a star studded ceiling
When the last lintel slotted in to its position
A sacrifice made of blood curdling precision
Did bare feet feel the tremor of an earthquake
A religious healer raises a cross or a snake
Like pushing a plug into electrical wall socket
A button pressed for firing an intergalactic rocket
I favour the romance and wide screen type drama
Stonehenge forever blessing England’s panorama
 
Children Wishing 
Five happy children looking skyward wishing
Each holds a big balloon on a length of string
Each bright balloon up in the air a-swishing 
Children born over time of my patient stitches
My choice their looks and what they bring
They represent ambition not a life of glitches 
Things don’t always happen as you dream
My universal group of kids play on a day in spring
No thought of the future or a later theme 
Hair in corn rows, pigtails or flaxen waves
Laughing, shouting, playing happily as they sing
None of them quarrel, nobody misbehaves 
One girl in a spotty dress with puffed sleeve
One wears a t-shirt and skirt as to youth they cling
A ginger haired boy in jeans doesn’t want to leave  
From my imagination stitch by stitch they grew
Life has pressures and danger to bring
Work and not hope gives success to the few
 
Leaving Home  
A strong willed child to say the least
And a little on the naughty side
Facing mother with her brow creased
My dad’s amusement he tries to hide. 
Sent to my room I protest still
“I’m going to leave this beastly home
You don’t love me, you never will”
I hold my dolly, her hair I comb. 
Dad say’s “Wait a minute duck”
Leave’s the room, pads up the stair
My case, my money box, he say’s “good luck”
Let us know when you get there.
 
When I Am Prime Minister 
The day when Prime Minister I become
Leadership fairer and much more sage
Will make new laws and change will come
For the young and those in older age. 
Plain bad manners and rude words
Will be absolutely and completely banned
Guilty ones sent out to live in wild herds
Guarded only by the Almighty’s hand. 
When much too much, are ones is earnings
Weekly charity work will be enforced
There will be monthly town centre burnings
Of rapists and paedophiles endorsed. 
For spending years in invalid caring
This investment will be compensated
Replaced will be the rags they’re wearing
Nurses, for just rewards rightly nominated. 
Lesser crimes still will not pass free
Pavement blocking shoppers admonished
They must endless footage of themselves see
Staring into space as if astonished. 
Cold caller menaces who a phone call place
The very plague of these modern days
Will be dispatched by rocket ship into space
Hurtling on into the suns burning rays. 
Vote for me should you like these words
Rather than a much more sinister minister
Laws as loud and clear as Beethoven’s chords
Oh yes we can, when I am Prime Minister.
 
 
 

 

No comments: