Sunday, April 13, 2014

His Serene Highness Pu Yi

Facebook friends are always posting photos and bits of video of their pets and much as I enjoy seeing them I still cannot bring home a new pet because when the last one died it just hurt so much that I am still not ready, years later to risk that pain again. This poem is about the last pet I had.


His Serene Highness 

My fabulous little cat Pu-yi
Was such a charming character and he
Would talk all the time you talked to him
My lap staying empty; chances thin
Named after the last Emperor of China
Personality the size of an ocean liner
He was the colour of desert sand
Minute stature but of presence grand
When he first joined our family life
Standing no bigger than a fist in strife
He was a Devon Rex kitten; so tiny
A huge voice got just a little bit winey
His name choice since, he looked oriental
Demanding sometimes, and decidedly mental
He trained us both to a life that pleased
Favour, affection and advantage seized
We often wonder if he knew he was small
With his bold behaviour on beds to sprawl
He would face off to a dog ten times his size
They would back down too, feeling it wise.
A teeny chap with a powerful aura
His coat was velvet rather than angora
The shortest of shorthaired cats
With bulldog stance and ears like bats
His Serene Highness the Emperor Pu Yi
Lived not in a palace but curled up on my knee.

No comments: