Saturday, April 12, 2014

Giving Thanks Not Abuse

Still a little chilly early this morning and we wore bike shorts instead of tights so it was a little cold for the knees and fingers.  I don't wear gloves because my hands are still painful even almost a year since I had that nasty fall but instead I find the neoprene wrist supports far better for me.  The wind however was non-existent so that made a pleasant change. It is 50 days until I start my big 75 min tri challenge but I would like you to know that training is going well and I am feeling confident. This mornings poem is about an encounter whilst riding around Kingston Gorse where there was not another car in sight, totally empty road. No reason at all for such rudeness.
 
Giving Thanks Instead of Abuse 

Whilst riding our bikes sedately
We were taken by surprise,
A scene we’ve seen more of lately
Causing a widening of our eyes. 

We are a pair of ageing old codgers
Out for a quiet morning spin
We became two swift car dodgers
Of a motor making lots of din. 

Riding along a quiet road we use
Since main road traffic is too scary,
We suffered a helping of verbal abuse
And some signs of which we were wary. 

A smart man was driving the car
With an attractive woman by his side
We realised its not a ‘lady’ you are!
Such nastiness you should try to hide.

It saddened me to see this occur;
If you are wealthy you should be happy
To be better off than once you were,
Not to poorer folk be so snappy. 

Give thanks for what you have in live,
But be tolerant of others ways as well,
Thank God for your car, you house, your wife
Don’t tell old bikers to F-off and go to hell!

 

No comments: