Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Sado Island travels

Just flipping through past travels and was reminded of the fabulous time spent with the GB Age group triathlon team some years ago with our most excellent manager Ian Pettitt. One of the best trips of my life was to a little island off Japan.  It is around eighty eight days until I start my big challenge
So please feel free to donate. www.justgiving.com/Daphne-Belt


Sado Island, Japan 

Excitement filled me when I thought,
Even thought, if or not I ought
To go to Japan more for a triathlon race
Such a distant and unknown place
Most other women decided not
Only five on the GB team they got.
I felt a lot easier when I found
At Heathrow we’d leave the ground
Flying all together as a team
Much more sensible it would seem
The place where we were going to go
Was not in cosmopolitan Tokyo
Sado Island, off the North West coast.
That nothing was western, surprised us most
I crash coursed a language tape before
Leaving to go to so strange a shore.
No choice but to stay at a Ryokan hotel
Traditional style would suit us well
No outdoor shoes allowed indoors
Kimono and slippers would be yours
For the entire duration of the stay
We would live life the Japanese way.
We slept upon soft bamboo and raffia floors
And got used to the paper thin sliding doors.
No English was spoken anywhere to us
So we got a translator and a Karaoke bus!
She gave us lessons on every ride
Shyness was no place to hide.
Everybody must sing out a song
Good or bad we must sing along
I used my bit of panic learned, Japanese
And though they giggled, it seemed to please.
I was able to order some toast and tea
And thank very politely when it came to me
Giggles hidden by hands, bows everywhere
I started bowing too, tradition to share.
The Great Bath was a culture shock
All naked together and no door to lock
But we girls took it all in our strike
Deciding we had nothing special to hide.
The sweet children at the local school all
Adopted an athlete whose name to call
When we were out racing our race
A sign with our name on would be in place
On the cycle ride around this strange land
Like a willow pattern plate close at hand.
The best of the of the trip was not the gold
Medal won in my age or the title I hold
So… domo arigatogozaimashita Japan
For carrying out your immaculate plan

 

No comments: