Saturday, February 15, 2020

'Friend' of the CFT on a soap box



 Chichester Festival Theatre


‘Friend’ on a soap box.

My postbag yesterday instantly got my wild up. It contained the new seasons programme for my favourite twin theatres, The Chichester Festival Theatre and its utterly wonderful sibling the Minerva Theatre. My husband and I have been fans of the complex since it opened in the sixties, all recently renovated at great cost.

They have loyalty schemes in place but unlike the Boots store card, that I feel is the best of the bunch, the CFT is obviously for the benefit of theatre, so that it can maintain its most excellent reputation for presenting fine theatrical art works. No complaint from me on that front. 

I subscribe to the ‘Friends’ system myself. This is the base level of support for the theatre, of course the levels go up and up depending on how generously patrons give their support. The reason I felt miffed enough to make the journey to Chichester from my home in Littlehampton yesterday was that I felt there was a kind of failure in sending out the Friends information in time for them to benefit from it.


The winter programme Friends priority booking information did not arrive until 11.30 am on the morning that the priority booking opened at 9 am! I was horrified. At this point I should come perfectly clean and state that I do not pay my Friends membership fee of £37 for the benefit of my beloved theatre, Oh no! I pay the £37 which is close to the cost of seat, purely for my benefit, the idea is that I can get good seats for all the performances that my sweet hubby and I want to enjoy during the season. On most occasions, a friend from our own inner circle joins us. My darling man, wants to sit in the front row you see, or with a bit of muttering, he will settle for the second row.

So that is how come when we went to see the BBC Concert Orchestra playing pieces from the musicals that we scraped into with one seat in the second row, one seat in the row behind that and the last of the three required place was in the row behind that. Not ideal at all.



In fact we only acquired one set of front row seats for the whole season, that for the superb production of MacBeth. Yesterday the delivery of the new summer programme and members leaflet arrived at 11 am and I noticed that one of the events shown was for the evening before. So something sadly amiss with the postal plans.


So I puffed my chest out a drove over to Chichester to go in and make a personal complaint. When I arrived, I asked at the box office if I could speak to somebody connected to the Friends administration department who could hear my complaint. I was asked to explain what the complaint entailed and having responded I was directed to the Stage Door and told to speak to the man there who would call somebody to speak to me.

The lady who arrived before me, introduced herself as Julie the Friends administrator. She listened politely to my complaint and admitted that they knew some of the information for the winter season had arrived late. When I mentioned that there was an event shown this time, that was in fact for the evening before, the Thursday before the Friday that I presented myself, Julie told me that I could not have gone to that anyway because it was A Festival Players Event and not a Friends Event. Nice put down! 

OHHHHHHH I thought, here we go with the upper crust tier system. However that made me feel even more put out, and at that point I launched into how very unimportant ‘Friends’ of the CFT really are and suggested that we are fractionally more advantaged than Joe public who must wait a few more days to book seats. We are like friends that are long forgotten, like somebody you knew at school and lost track of. 


The discussion between Julie and I went on for some fifteen minutes when upon a sudden; A tall man strode towards us and introduced himself. I was so taken aback that I may have made a remark about 'sending in the cavalry' or reinforcements, but I do recall turning to the gentleman and asking if he wanted to pat me down to see if I were armed with weapons on some sort. A one to one verbal exchange was then unbalanced to say the least, and I do recall mentioning in the conversation that I would be 81 on my next birthday and that old as I am, my husband still likes to sit in the theatre and hold my hand comfortably and not from the row behind me.  


 The tier system of benefits goes on and on. You are invited to leave a legacy, or name a seat; you’ll like this one! Naming a seat costs FROM £1000.00 for 10 years right up to £10.000 for fifty years by which time the building would have been replaced or renovated again and certainly your £10.000 seat would have worn out and been replaced. After that, Oh my Lord, don’t ask, Festival Players , Commissioning and Patron circles, Corporate partners and ever onwards.


When I looked all this up, having been a devoted CFT ticket buyer since it opened many years ago and having the level of support well and truly explained to me, it just confirmed what an unfair system it is to the poor of 'Friend'. When I searched further having been told by Julie and the tall gentleman that they could reassure me that nobody got to buy tickets before the Friends Priority date and time, I wonder, that even that is not so, according to their own website that shows other levels of supporters being able to get tickets several days before the ‘Friends’ Priority booking. So they did not tell me the whole truth and nothing but the truth did they?

 An unhappy ‘Friend’ and faithful ticket buyer of many year standing.

No comments: