Saturday, December 28, 2019

ITU World stand. dist. triathlon Championships: Lausanne, Switzerland 2019





ITU World standard distance triathlon Championships: Lausanne, Switzerland 2019

On August 27th we drove to Beaune, in Burgundy for a last couple of days training before the World Championships. All we did was a couple of really nice familiar bike rides. We know that area well, having been there for work and sport bike holidays on umpteen occasions, this time we did a quiet and ultra pretty canal ride that we like, it 
has a café and a bakery at the far end.



Then on 29th we drove just 200 km to Lausanne through the Forêt du Jura and a little way further on to Cully, where Steve’s nose for something different found us booked in to, Auberge Du Raisin, a quiet place a few miles outside of the city. It was perfect for us, he had chosen a large attic room where we could spread out and relax. Steve had been influenced because of its highly rated restaurant. It was a mere two minutes walk down to the lakeside and the fabulous views there, close to the ferry point for lake tours. Steve likes to stay somewhere quiet since he knows me well enough to want to avoid having me get nervous before big events. Calm, calm, calm is the key.


When we went in to Lausanne for me to register or the event, it seemed, through talking to other competitors, that some swimmers had already found out that there was a strong current for the swim. That had seemed obvious to Steve and I, since the race first came into the picture for us. We were aware that the River Rhône entered Lake Geneva at one end of the lake and exited near the city of Geneva. The Rhône is not just a little stream, so there is bound to be a strong flow. Our home is in Littlehampton on the south coast of England, where the River Arun, that is the second fasted river in the UK, joins the English Channel; so even though I am quite old and do not swim that fast, a strong current would not cause me to get my panties in a tangle.


On Sunday September 1st, having checked my spot in transition added my drink to the bike and in my case a handful of Jelly Babies for the bike course section I have to add that not everything works for all. I never eat before a race. I don’t eat breakfast normally. There was a long hanging about time before the wave starts and in the hour before the first wave, it was announced officially though not altogether unexpectedly, that it would be a no wetsuit swim. That was a disappointment to some but something that I was perfectly happy about.

For the first time at Worlds, I was competing in a new age category of 80-84 after my 80th birthday two weeks before. My opposition was American. During the course of the event my husband/coach Stephen, shouted at me every now and again to let me know how far ahead I was. The first time, he said I was 27 minutes ahead but later on it had stretched to almost an hour. He did not give me updates out on the run course and I found out later that he was so pleased and excited that he left me to it and went for a burger! We found out later that  the nearest woman had not made one of several time cut offs and had been withdrawn. I was the only female in that group to complete the course and so I became World Champion again.

There were only four men (of seven) in that age group who finished the race in the cut off time and only one of those was faster than me. So I was unquestionably my category winner.

 
It was a very hard event. I would say the most challenging ‘Worlds’ that I have ever race in. After over a week of very hot calm weather there had been heavy overnight rain and by morning the conditions in Lake Geneva were rough.
That did not lower the water temperature however. With the water conditions most people were not happy about. The bike course was very hard and hilly with challenging climbs and a couple of dangerous descents. I saw one man hit the metal barrier on a descending corner so hard it made a dreadful clanging thud and he flew over the barrier quite close to where I was climbing upwards on the other side. He landed with a thump and was lying on the road screaming as I rode on. I know that sounds mean, but there were people there and they were already quickly attending to him.

I had prayed for a thunderstorm or at least rain for the run but unfortunately my prayer passed unheard and the sun came out and returned to the oppressive heat of the previous days. I have never experiences such a hard run as this one which had six ascents of the park paths including sets of  STEPS surrounding the Olympic Museum. The downhill sections were a relief, I love running downhill but it was mostly in the heat of the sun. It was a great relief to get to the blue carpet of the race finish, knowing that I was World Champion in my age group and pre-qualified for 2020 worlds in Edmonton, Canada. A race I have done before in 2014.

Lausanne Distances: 1500 metres Lake swim/ 40km bike ride/10km… though it seemed much further!

No comments: