Saturday, September 9, 2017

My Father is a Werewolf




My Father is a Werewolf
By Kaye Umansky
Who says that she likes it because it reads well aloud and is totally daft.

I have to agree and add that that makes it perfect for reading to kids who all love the really silly poems.

My Father is a werewolf,
Right now he’s busy moulting.
He leaves his hairs on stairs and chairs,
It’s really quite revolting.
And if my friends make comments
(For some of them are faddy)
I tell them it’s the cat or dog.
I never say it’s Daddy.

I found it in a little book I bought second or third hand on E-bay, it was cheap as chips because the cover was a bit creased and the pages are yellowed. For £2.99 I thought it was a gift from heaven.

The book is called 101 Favourite Poems and it is a collection where poets have picked their favourites. The collection was compiled by John Foster and published by Collins in 2002. When it would have cost £12.99

Children’s poems are like eating ice cream, sheer pleasure with no pretentions. I keep them to amuse any young guests or send one to them. Simple things make lasting friends.

All poetry is priceless and making poetry or any art form is pure happiness therapy.


Someone Else’s Head

It is not a secret; some things are quite well known
I love Norman Rockwell that much is set in stone.

There’s a book brim filled with his inspired works
And my own copy by my bedside quietly lurks.

My bedside collection, saved for an insomnia night
All other times these books just raise my bedside light.

When ‘the wide awakes’ strike, I silently browse through
Time to spare at last, select a favourite one or two.

Girl Reading the Post, painted in nineteen forty one
Sheer genius, this commercial piece is still amazing fun.

A teenage girl’s body, scrunched socks and fluffy mitts
A magazine model’s face held where her face neatly fits.

Engrossed in more adult information than she knew
Scruffy shoes will be replaced with education new.

A young girl sits holding someone elses head
Avid new reader by Rockwell’s clear idea’s fed..

Hope you are all seriously considering come to my first attempt to get a happy new group of Scribblers gathering to enjoy each others favourite pastime.















1 comment:

WordsPoeticallyWorth said...

Greetings from Chester. I enjoyed reading.

Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.