Sunday, February 28, 2016

Trying to think calm thoughts

 After an unsettling incident in Arundel this morning, I am trying to think calm and peaceful thoughts. I don't want to rush in with my first feelings, and so will allow my head and heart rate to lower before talking about what happened.

So here are two pretty previously written poems that I have read several times whilst I try to calm myself down.


Mermaids Purse 

Slowly striding
Eyes downcast
Over the pebbles
To find at last
The object subject
Of my hunt
Crunching footfall
On my town seafront
Travelling free upon the tide
She sometime spins off course
A building wind sweeps wide
With every irresistible wave
Her path is further lost
A deep sea shopping day
Hampered at every turn
Seaweed catches in her hair
Wave on wave she’s tossed
Her little purse nipped away
As stormy seas collide
Out of reach and no return
Tiny black purse
That held her fare
Torn from her hand forever lost
Now its mine
I stoop down like a fool
It lays thrown up upon the beach
Held in finders keepers rule
Though I have in my hand
Her tiny empty purse
Does she watch me
From her watery place
And wish I’d give it back
A longing look lights her face
The mermaid in the sea
 
Wishing Well
A strange little thing to bring home for me
At the usual time he came back for his tea
It took me quite by surprise that day
I knew not for a moment what to do or say
Nothing I had said had expressed that need
A mystery as someone not given to greed
He’d bought an antique stone wishing well
Chose not to keep it in the warehouse to sell
I had beavered away on a garden transformation
A patio preferred to the little ponds stagnation 
Thus far he had not shown a mind to interfere
With my plans with secateurs and garden shears
He helped clear the pond wall brickwork away
But left new plans for me to have full and final say
My main thought was to make the work easier
More clear space a little bright and breezier
Myself no more enjoying the first flush of youth
Seeking more simple gardening work is the truth
Plain simplicity is at the base of my adaptation
From hard work my plot to ease is my translation 
When the scheme was more or less completed
The scene hoped for was not the view that greeted
Too pure and straight the lines that took the eye
It was not after all surrounding the palace at Versailles
It lacked a point of interest around the bird feeder
A plain wall there seemed to be the eye leader
Intuitively sensing a wife’s disappointment
He sought to remove this fly in the ointment
In answer to my need for some new inspiration
Thus far lacking in my quiet supplication  
He presented the rugged little story tale piece
Suggesting it might the formal symmetry decrease
Building it up gradually to show at its best
A smile spread on my face as I watched the rest
Sloping roof fitted on and a handle and winder
My postage stamp garden an Olde England reminder
Where water once was is now planted with flowers
A dainty touch to the garden where we spent idle hours
The tiny wishing well to ponder in times of recreation
The choice to wish wishes wishing in moderation
 
 
 
 

No comments: