Thursday, September 24, 2015

Retaining My Age Group World Title


ITU World Age Group Triathlon Championships. Chicago, September 2015
Chicago Standard Distance Race report

Happiness is…..

…….Winning my age group at standard distance World Triathlon Championship for the second year running. Having been defending champion in my age group 75-79 the pressure was really on.

It was after a night of impressive thunder storms that caused the race organisers to change the time of the elite women’s race and cancel the eve of race, age group bike check in, as well as cancelling the World Triathlon Sprint Championship award ceremony that race morning began. 

The start pontoon was a little un-stable when the older women’s wave went off, and also when what my husband calls the 'Old Gits' wave, left ten minutes later.  It was actually during the later wave starts, that they altered the swim course and cut it down to half distance for the half dozen AG waves that were left to start. The reason being, that the start pontoon had all but broken away from the harbour wall. 

The swim was more challenging for the Standard Distance Worlds with a slight chop and a quite strong current running that was pulling swimmers out toward the open water away from the shore and the shelter and safety of the harbour wall. I had a really strong swim that I was very happy with and after exiting the water there was a long barefoot run to transition1, of around 360 metres during which time you were only allowed to take your wetsuit off down to your waist. There then was run almost as long again through the sand and grass transition and out to the mount line for the bike section.  

All week long everybody had been dreading 40km the bike because much of the two lap route was on underground sections of a three level city main road. There has been endless talk about what glasses to wear because of the sudden changes in light and gloom. I found the route to actually be very good; it was like a time trial event or a race track. It was most disorientating without daylight to tell you what direction you were travelling in. There were quite a number of turns to left and right and some dead turns too but all the turns had plenty of room and my own two laps of the course we pretty much the same only dropping a few seconds on the second lap. My husband and I both had very good bike times. Another 300 metres back into T2 after the bike and again back out to start the run 10km proper. This meant that there must have been well over a kilometre of extra running due to the long transitions. 

The run was over the 10 km distance. Well over, and I was glad when the multi lap course was over. Comparing notes afterwards, most competitors agreed that the run was about 10.7 km. Feeling that I had given my all after the run and feeling complete rubbish, I held no hopes of a podium position and so did not check the notices on the way out of the post finish recovery area. 

Actually we had ambled back to transition to collect our kit, ridden our bikes through the hazards of the city traffic back to our hotel, run a bath and made coffee, before Steve looked online for the results. I was just rinsing off my conditioner when Steve let out a noisy whoop and started singing; ‘We are the Champions’ (That was not very good because he is no Freddie Mercury). He then danced into the bathroom in his birthday suit to congratulate me on retaining my World title. Unbelievable. 

I think it was the swim that handed me the gold medal in my age group and gave me a roughly 6.5 minute lead over the other women. 

Swim: 34.31
T1: 7.20
Bike ride: 1 hour 22.01
T2: 4.58
Run: 1hour 22.13
Total time 3.31.00 

The next morning we had a lovely swim in the pool that was the training centre for Johnny Weissmuller when he was an Olympic swimmer, years before he became better known at Tarzan. Very inspiring. 

We celebrated and relaxed in Chicago, including enjoying a 'Trump Mojito' at 'Sixteen', the 16th floor terrace of the Trump Towers. Meanwhile my feet floated slowly back toward the ground. Mine was the only gold out of nearly 300 on the GB team in the standard distance. There was one silver and a couple of bronze medals on the team too. 

One very happy bunny here... No, two happy bunnies because my coach/husband Steve is overjoyed about it.

 

No comments: