Thursday, June 5, 2014

Out of the Woods

Well, after all the dreaming and planning this fairly big Challenge of mine it is finally underway. The project was a year in the making and I have been accused of being totally insane on a good number of occasions.

Today is Day 5. Of Daf's Mini Tri Challenge. There were times when it seemed impossible but after the first few are now in the bag, I am starting to feel happier about the whole thing. The first couple of days were sunny and pleasant but then on the third day it was a little colder and it rained. The weather on day 4 was seriously bad and though I put my bike shoes in the airing cupboard over night they were still damp earlier today but I consoled myself by thinking about the guys doing the Giro D'Italia that I watched for the duration and it seemed to rain most of the day, most days, as well as climbing into the snow up huge mountain passes. So my efforts are humble in comparison. 70 Mini Tri's to go.

All of my efforts are a way of celebrating the fact that although I am approaching my 75th birthday I am also in pretty good health.... maybe a few pounds overweight but otherwise quite sound. All this is for charity www.justgiving.com/Daphne-Belt

This poem comes from my struggle last year to get back to fitness after a fall out running that left me in plaster for a while. We all have times when doubts fill our heads but like the weather recently things do change and its possible to focus again and move forward.

Out of the Woods 

Into the woods in fates dark sight
A less than easy path to take
Hidden there through fear and fright
Shadows sew a fiendish mistake
The cause and blame are mine outright
Acknowledged and unwelcome keepsake
Doubt careening uncontrolled, finite
What way, what way, what way retake 

Secret emotions held in tight
Slipping behind all standards fake
What ill disease has brought this blight
False impressions outward make
Terror tearing past contrite
In disorientated confidence quake
Lost and helpless lonely plight
What way, what way, what way retake 

Menacing phantom stands in limelight
Is it real this tight coiled snake
Despairing search up in starlight
Or can I from this nightmare wake
Take courage dragging soul to fight
And from the embers fire make
Take strengths firm hold to make all right
What way, this way your path remake 

Summon less feeble spirit bright
Come destiny flooding a smoother lake
Forge back the darkness push back the night
Pull back, the empty reserves forsake
All cowardice in banishing excite
Responsibility is mine for pity’s sake
Out of the woods and into the light
Pride in this victory is wide awake

 

No comments: